Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VT wiring loom

Bogan23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commy
Hey guys im new to all this and not sure where to post this thread

I have put a 3.8L v6 in a 1980 ex lancer and am stuck now at the wiring. I have the whole loom from the donor car (VT commodore) but don't know alot about the wiring and i have the wiring diagram for it.
I need to get rid of the BCM and have the fuse and relay box inside the passenger side foot well up high. I dont need the fuel pump or fans done as ive wired them separately. Ive removed the ac pump there is no dash or abs so literally only need wiring to start and run the motor and trans and the alternator to charge the battery.

Has anyone done this before and able to give me some clues on how to do all of this. I have a guy that can disable the bcm from the ecu or however its done

Thank you in advance

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is a guy on the PCMhacking forum who makes a replacement module for the BCM. As for the wiring, it's either something you can or can't do. It's really hard to do over the interwebs as it's a custom job and will be unique from any other wiring job.

Ultimately, you need to figure out what you need from the loom (relays and fuses as well as the entire PCM loom etc), work out where you are going to fit it all and then route the wiring.

Bogan23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commy
weet as ill have a look at the bcm replacement and I was hoping someone had done similar and would have a wiring diagram they worked off. My mate reckons theres a 5 wire setup I can do on it but no idea how to do it

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The problem is you are starting with a VT loom. From VT onwards the BCM was the Bus master (the communications network between all the other modules in the car including the ABS, PCM, Dash etc) and some functions are run via the BCM (like the low speed cooling fan) as well as security.

Bogan23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commy
The problem is you are starting with a VT loom. From VT onwards the BCM was the Bus master (the communications network between all the other modules in the car including the ABS, PCM, Dash etc) and some functions are run via the BCM (like the low speed cooling fan) as well as security.

Is there any way I can rewire without it as I dont need abs dash security or any of that I really just need the engine and trans running and the alternator charging

H

harrop.senator

I couldn't with a vy and had to find a non abs 1 air bag commanded cluster.

Ive never seen anything newer then a vs harness used for conversions.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be easier to use VP harness and ECM with custom tune to suit Eco.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is there any way I can rewire without it as I dont need abs dash security or any of that I really just need the engine and trans running and the alternator charging
Be easier to use VP harness and ECM with custom tune to suit Eco.

Use a VS loom and ECU with no VATS. Exactly the same deal but you retain the MPFI and electronic gearbox control. You'll need to get a transmission controller or a TH700 if you go down the VN/VP route. AFAIK the ABS module doesn't have any interaction with the ECU or BCM, and the dash is pretty much it's own thing.

Have you got or looked at any pinout diagrams for any of these looms? That's where you need to be starting. You should also talk to your chip guy to see what he can and can't do in terms of enabling and disabling features, then seek out more info from there. I know there are a number of speedway cars that use a carbied Ecotec and retain the ECU for ignition and the transmission, would be looking down that path for info, or how V6 conversions into early Holdens have been done.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR PCM would retain the use of the 4l60e but with the benefits of MAP tuning. The boys over on the PCM Hacking forum have a pinout diagram to use the VR PCM with ecotec and 11p tune. There is probably a suitable .bin file as well.