Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VZ quicker off the mark than a VE SS?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I was at a set of lights a couple of cars back from the front, the light went green and a VE SS takes off like crazy with a VZ exec P plater next to him. I kind of chuckled to myself thinking "P plater in V6 VZ trying to race a VE SS lol."

Bugger me the VZ got ahead of the VE SS and they were really going for it in first gear anyway. The VZ got the VE SS on take off quite easily, then the SS backed off, it was pretty much a 1st gear blast. It was a VZ exec base model, not an SV6 and sure wasn't a V8, I heard the Alloytec engine, the VE SS sounded like a stock auto.

So being a P plated car I assume the VZ did not got any form of forced induction (not supposed to anyway) it sounded stock but quite a bit louder (exhaust mods probably) it took off really quickly and seemed to have most of it's get up and go in 1st gear. I have driven a stock VZ exec and doubt they would go anything like a VE SS.

So what may have been done to it to take off so fast, diff gears amongst other things?
May have had an SV6 engine in it, I doubt it would have been the Alloytec 175.

I am a bit more of a Ford man (but would like a VE Calais) but that was a quick VZ

I'm not wanting to glorify street racing, yes it should be kept at the track, It was on a highway 80 zone and mostly first gear so I would regard it as a quick squirt rather than a full on race.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The 6L would cream the alloytec from second gear onwards.

The only reason sv6’s seem quick off the mark is because of their extremely short first gear (5 speed 5L40e).

If it wasn’t an sv6, I’ve gotta say whoever was driving the ve probably wasn’t trying

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
So what may have been done to it to take off so fast

Being a P platers car......VZ was probably fitted with the infamous "Cop Chip" ;)

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah I’ve been test driving VZ and VE SV6 for a VVT project, can say both are pretty good but is probably the driver mod (you know, loosen the big nut behind the steering wheel) in this case.
Here’s a vid of an SS dragging off a CBR600RR at the lights (driver mod):

And at the next set of lights same bike vs same car, driver mod delete:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Being a P platers car......VZ was probably fitted with the infamous "Cop Chip" ;)

I completely overlooked the "Fully Sik cop chip" there's an extra 100 rwkw's right there!

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I’ve been test driving VZ and VE SV6 for a VVT project, can say both are pretty good but is probably the driver mod (you know, loosen the big nut behind the steering wheel) in this case.
Here’s a vid of an SS dragging off a CBR600RR at the lights (driver mod):

And at the next set of lights same bike vs same car, driver mod delete:

Sure makes a difference when they are both actually racing! Heaps of VT's, Magnas and Camrys have 'dragged off' my xr6 turbo, I just wasn't aware of it at the time lol. Just got rid of my CBR600 F4i, the 600RR's are one of the quickest 600's, close to a litre bike, got a Hornet 919 now, old Fireblade engine, great bike.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for your answers guys, I thought it was to do with the short 1st gear, the SV6 engine's is still pretty impressive though.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Cheers for your answers guys, I thought it was to do with the short 1st gear, the SV6 engine's is still pretty impressive though.

for an engine with a relatively small displacement , 3.6 litres , the SV6 is OK

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Nah the V6 is something of a legend with P-platers and uni lads. Son is looking for next car and the king of the sub-$10k heap among his mates is the treefiddy (350)z. Same size V6 same tricks, and yeah there's advanced variants and tuned states for both but mainly same output give or take 8% for the different stock tune states. You can't feel the difference, same output.
Thing is (from my point of view) the Holden engine lasts longer, is cheaper to rebuild, uses less fuel and can run 91-98 or even e85. From his point of view treefiddy is a sports coupe with apparent good looks and handling.
Nothing I've found so far under $10k compares as well for performance, and reliability with say 100k-150k km on the clock to a Holden V6. Timing chain? Most have belts (worse), Commie is simple and cheap fix, others seriously not meant to last as long as that.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I completely overlooked the "Fully Sik cop chip" there's an extra 100 rwkw's right there!

Oh yeah, at least 100kw......Add a cold air intake, a set of diff gears and every V8 around is toast :p