Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 5.0 litre stalling.

M

magnumv8

Had a recent issue with my old car-replaced plenty of elecrtic bits-in the end it was a intermittent fuel pump-once running at revs vacuume kept things happy but at idle like yours it would stall and was a bugger to start-I spent almost a grand and many hours checking and replacing bits then took it to my auto elec who had it fixed for a couple of hundred in a few hours-might be worth handing it in.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQ 5.0L
Figured it out, it was the dizzy. But of course now another problem has risen. My ignition module burnt out, $230 to waste and because I wasn't given the receipt I had to buy a new one which was $550. New coil as well, but my question is, why on earth would my ignition module be burning out? I haven't yet driven with the new module because it gets pretty hot just sitting there in idol so I would like to rectify the problem. Any ideas? Timing is 11-12 BTDC. I've got new plugs to go in but surely the spark plugs wouldn't effect the module to much as I'm sure they're still okay. I've also cleaned up the battery terminals, checked on battery earth and cleaned up the bolts and body where the ignition module goes (I think the module has a ground wire and doesn't ground through the case, but done it for the hell of it)

The little resistor or whatever it is ontop of the module gives out a slight zapping sensation when touched, nothing fatal and also when I chuck the test lamp on it it illuminates, is that normal, can somebody check? With the coil and using the test lamp on it what should I be seeing, illumination when the ignition is on but car not running on both + and -. What should it be doing when running or cranking the engine? Overall my module is heating up to much and wondering what the cause is, crappy electrical stuff.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VQ 5.0L
As to do with the lack of power, it was my throttle cable. It was way to loose, running on half throttle pretty much.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
The little resistor or whatever it is ontop of the module gives out a slight zapping sensation when touched, nothing fatal and also when I chuck the test lamp on it it illuminates, is that normal, can somebody check? With the coil and using the test lamp on it what should I be seeing, illumination when the ignition is on but car not running on both + and -. What should it be doing when running or cranking the engine?
The transistor on top of the module connects to the coil negative terminal. When the engine is running there is a short ~300 volt pulse every time a spark happens, enough to give you a little tingle if you have dry hands. Stick your tongue on it for a bigger surprise. A test light won't tell you much when the engine is running, you need to put a scope on it and look at the wave. This is a pretty good example of what you would see.

IGNcoilvoltage-Oscilloscope8964lr.jpg