Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 5 litre questions (newbie)

danny2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux v8
Hey guys, my brother recently bought a hilux with a 5 litre 185i from a vs and i have a couple of things to ask as we are both new to holdens

...first and foremost there is a ticking noise which sounds like the lifters on my old car.. is this common and is there anything to worry about?? also is there an oil which will help this?

..what engine oil do you guys recommend for this donk?

..engine has an oil weep coming down the front of the engine and one coming from the rear base of engine, i'm guessing rear main.. guy we bought it off said the engine had only 50000 on it, seems a bit premature for rear main?

.. will be looking at a blower for it in the future, i'm pretty sure there are heaps of different options out there.. but main concern is if the engine is made well enough for reliable running and what sort of power increases can be made without opening it up??

.. will be giving it a compression test soon.. what is a good reading (psi) for these??

Thanks for anyhelp you guys can give

danny

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
...first and foremost there is a ticking noise which sounds like the lifters on my old car.. is this common and is there anything to worry about?? also is there an oil which will help this?

It's common for V8 injectors to be very noisy. Put a screwdriver to your ear, and rest it on each injector top, and see if the tick they make co-incides with the noise you hear :)

It's also possible that, if it's the lifters, you're not using a thick enough oil.

..what engine oil do you guys recommend for this donk?

I recommend a 15w60 from Penrite - HPR15 I think. Good oil, SM rating, safe for long (10,000km) service intervals if you get lazy. Don't use synthetics. They're too good for the old bearings on the 304 :)

..engine has an oil weep coming down the front of the engine and one coming from the rear base of engine, i'm guessing rear main.. guy we bought it off said the engine had only 50000 on it, seems a bit premature for rear main?

Depends where the weep is coming from. It could also be coming from the trans front housing seal :)

.. will be looking at a blower for it in the future, i'm pretty sure there are heaps of different options out there.. but main concern is if the engine is made well enough for reliable running and what sort of power increases can be made without opening it up??

I think they can safely take about 8psi. That's more than enough for a good kick in the pants :D Whether or not your transmisison and driveline will take it - that's another question :p If it's manual, you'll break a driveshaft and then crack an IRS cradle and then smash the box. If it's auto, you'll smash the box, then smash your next box, then build a proper box and break a driveshaft.

.. will be giving it a compression test soon.. what is a good reading (psi) for these??

It's recommended not to have a difference of more than 20psi between cylinders. Although I personally think anything greater than 10psi between cylinders on a 50,000km motor would be a bit of a worry - and perhaps indicate it's done a few more kays than you've been told.

Last edited:

danny2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux v8
thanks morton:thumbsup:

a toyota dyna box is sitting behind it and landcruiser diffs behind that.. so it would be able to take a flogging

I saw this kit on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/holden-commodore-v8-5-0-sta-supercharger-kit-vn-vs_W0QQitemZ260401887062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260401887062&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50[/URL]

others are more than double the price.. is this a quality bit if kit??

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
if it was mine i would chase down a top mount being in a 4wd. the boost is there as soon as you put the foot down anywhere in the rev range. even at a a crall as in rolling along no throttle i get 6 psi strait up as soon as i hit it and it makes it smooth in acceleration up the rev range it may be more driveable for you. just my thoughts

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
HPR15 is a synthetic (semi), it's a good oil so they say. I'm using it at the moment but I swap and change between whatever I'm in the mood for. With boost the standard headgaskets blow at about or before 14 psi. Under 10 is OK. Also for a 4wd you really do want the instant boost a roots blower gives you. As for what power they can take (the engine) there was a turbo 304 at the easternats with 340 rwkw unopened all standard