Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Calais or SS?

paddyj

Reaction score
Website
www.paddyjoy.com
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Is the VE SS and VE V8 calais pretty much the same thing in terms of performance? Same engine and transmission? Is there anything different in the tuning or drivetrain?

Paddy

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
theyd be close. calais might be a bit heavier. if ur not going manual id say grab a calais

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I went the calais because the wife wanted auto. Otherwise i would have an ss, because calais don't have a manual. :p

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I was torn by this decision too... I ended up with a Calais. I actually wanted a manual, but all the colour coded dash, gauges, trim, etc on the SS made me go for a Calais :)

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I would go the calais every time, it has all the nice goodies you don't get with the SS, and at least you get a semi auto, unlike my VT Calais :(

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I was torn by this decision too... I ended up with a Calais. I actually wanted a manual, but all the colour coded dash, gauges, trim, etc on the SS made me go for a Calais :)

Colour coded dash was an option (and a very gawdy option!) - my interior is black on black.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Oh, I didn't know that... I was looking at second hand SS-V on car sales and all the ones I saw had colour gauges and trim. Oh well, I'm happy with the Calais-V anyway.