Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 conversion

Discussion in 'VL Holden Commodore (1986 - 1988)' started by gordy2au, Aug 1, 2006.

1. gordy2au

gordy2au Guest

hi just bought a vl i want to convert to a v8 , whats the best option or should i go turbo, what about diffs , suspension and bolt on brake upgrades? ur help appreciated
    cheers
    gordy
    :thumbsup:

2. harry3

harry3 New Member

Members Ride:
    vl berlina wagon 6cyl
    some people love altering old cars, they spend say 20,000 and are lucky to increase the cars value by $10 000

why not buy a later model that has the features you want, or of its got to be a VL, look for one that has the V8
    also check hot VLs for sale, they sell for much less than they cost to modify, about half

3. BigDaz

BigDaz Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais
    lol dont worry about the value. the second u buy a car it loses 2g value anyway, if u dont wanna lose value on a car never sell the 1 u have :p

When i do my conversion im just gunna buy a VL V8 and swap over anything/everything that i will need. I havnt really looked hard into the subject yet but im guessin the fuel pump's might be different on the V8. Diff is different, u dont HAVE to use a V8 diff but if ur an animal the u will break the 6cyl diff in no time at all. Suspension wouldnt be much different i wouldnt reckon, im gunna leave mine as is and just change it if i need to. U will probly have to invest in a new tailshaft. theres prolly heaps of stuff. :D

4. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    front springs are different. the turbo and V8 rear end are the same, that is to say different from a standard 6cyl. different fuel pump, different K-frame, if you're going to inject the V8 then you'll need a different pump again and a splurge tank. different radiator too for the V8. different battery and location. i'll try and think of more......

5. ucwepn

ucwepn America just kicked in yo

Members Ride:
    WH statesman 5.7
    v8 has 11 inch discs on the front with finned calipers same as turbo, 1" master cylinder. also need a v8 dash cluster because the v8 doesn't have an ecu. different tailshaft, you can use your existing diff as long as it has disc brakes. (LSD 28 spline would be nice tho)

6. BigDaz

BigDaz Member

Members Ride:
    VT Calais
    yeh i didnt think about the dash

7. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    or buy mine and save yourself the trouble of converting anything. its for sale.