Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 conversion

Jezmont

Jez
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport Z Series
Hey all,

Im in the process of converting my recently seized V6 3.8 on my VR to a V8 and just looking for some advice or guidance. I've read up on heaps of other posts but wanted to see if there were different perspectives.

Firstly, I know most people will say dont waste your money and all that, I know its gonna cost a bit of coin, but the whole point is that I wanna start this from scratch and use it as a project.

Just basically want to ask 2 questions here.

1) to make sure im not missing anything ive thought of already, if I put a stock VR V8 into it, what else do i need to change? ie. trans, wiring, radiator etc etc

2) considering im doing this anyway, any suggestions for the best V8 to put in, even if I need to custom fit with mounts etc? Such as LS1 etc?

Thanks heaps!
Jez

Last edited:

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
DO IT!! im in the process of doing it myself however ive done it b4 on my father inlaws car in its goin strong....
i would let you know right now...........however im realy drunk, if the thread is still kicking in the morning ill jump it 4 sure

Jezmont

Jez
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport Z Series
haha.. nice one, bout to get drunk myself!

Yeah im keen to do it, just wanna get some different opinions on what exactly to do, and also what not to do! And so i dont miss anything!

Cheers

minimefx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon, vx executive
i think from mates change over he had to change everthing. wiring, computer, trany and even k-frame with engine and gear box mounts as well as springs and brakes. best bet is to buy a wreck bonner car to steel everything needed threw the swap then sell off everthing that is left over to get some funs back.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
yup if your doin the 5ltr conversion your best bet is to have a donor car that is smashed in the rear or sides, then u can use the radiator, kframe, springs, throttle cables and even aircon lines, everything needs to be changed, its well worth it if u want to keep your car and u can make it look so much more tidy than stock 5L's