Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Extractor Advice.

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
G'day guys, I am slowly getting my wagon together after buying it less motor last year and finally coming to the end of the list of things that bother me.

What I would like is some feedback on factory style V8 extractors fitted to the VR and VS Senators, The 4 into 1 type that are about the same size as a standard cast manifold. Obviously they won't flow as good as the extractors that are fitted now but how much better will they flow than standard manifolds and are they expensive to track down?

I'm just trying to stop my car from dragging on the driveway and on random carpark driveways. It's not like the wagon is that low, it has pedders stage 1 lowering which is more or less the same as FE2.

So are they any good.

Cheers.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
what on it now?
G'day guys, I am slowly getting my wagon together after buying it less motor last year and finally coming to the end of the list of things that bother me.

What I would like is some feedback on factory style V8 extractors fitted to the VR and VS Senators, The 4 into 1 type that are about the same size as a standard cast manifold. Obviously they won't flow as good as the extractors that are fitted now but how much better will they flow than standard manifolds and are they expensive to track down?

I'm just trying to stop my car from dragging on the driveway and on random carpark driveways. It's not like the wagon is that low, it has pedders stage 1 lowering which is more or less the same as FE2.

So are they any good.

Cheers.

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
It has Hi Tech extractors and a 2 1/2 twin system, 1 muffler for each bank. It is tits on a bull useless for me. I have a redback 2 1/2 single system for it wich is plenty good enough for what I need. The biggest drama for me is the ground clearance issues and I don't want to buy new extractors to fix the problem.

My engine is built with headwork, compression and a mild spit duration cam and is designed to work off idle to 5500 rpm. And it works well at the moment. It has very good torque and has around 165Kw @ the wheels. The car is my daily and does towing duties. Most importantly is it doubles as the family car for trips.

Basically I think the HSV 185i factory tube jobs and standard Y pipe will do the job for what I want, but I don't know if they are any good. I have heard rumours that they crack but is that when people try and push too much through them at high revs or are they ****?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hsv tubes are avrg i have them on my maloo 185i...id change them to pacies but i want to keep the car as stock as poss....
It has Hi Tech extractors and a 2 1/2 twin system, 1 muffler for each bank. It is tits on a bull useless for me. I have a redback 2 1/2 single system for it wich is plenty good enough for what I need. The biggest drama for me is the ground clearance issues and I don't want to buy new extractors to fix the problem.

My engine is built with headwork, compression and a mild spit duration cam and is designed to work off idle to 5500 rpm. And it works well at the moment. It has very good torque and has around 165Kw @ the wheels. The car is my daily and does towing duties. Most importantly is it doubles as the family car for trips.

Basically I think the HSV 185i factory tube jobs and standard Y pipe will do the job for what I want, but I don't know if they are any good. I have heard rumours that they crack but is that when people try and push too much through them at high revs or are they ****?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Thats a good system on there already, makes good power so why change it?

Maybe just get an exhaust shop to heat it up and push the pipes up a bit? otherwise, its not too much work to have the pipes cut and modded to sit higher. would work out much cheaper than changing extractors

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
The car is booked in for thursday, I'm leaving the extractors as is and getting a new Y pipe made and tucked in neater. If the scraping is still a problem I'll just weld some strips to it. I have heard nothing good about the cracking problems with the factory extractors, forever cracking and re cracking. Plus the money is rapidly running out sorting out all the problems from the previous owner. De P platering a vehicle is hard yakka...

Cheers for the help, I am not sure why this thread has had to be moderated every time I made a post, the first reply I made took 3 days. A bit like waiting on hold for Vic Roads...