Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 fuel saver

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
I've heard that Holden might introduce a mod to the 6 litre V8 where it will switch off 4 cylinders (much like the Chrysler 300C Hemi) while 'cruising' to save fuel, effectiviely running on 4 cylinders and approx every 30 seconds or so, they activate breifly to lubricate the pistons........can anyone confirm this is true?:whistling

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I've never heard anything about it, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Thats called Displacement On Demand :p

It will come in, but who knows when.

The VZ 6.0L engine has all the hardware and is perfectly capable of doing it. The L98 V8 in the VE range however had all the DOD hardware REMOVED so I doubt we will see it in 6.0L form. The current V8 wont have it atleast, perhaps a new version of the 6.0L Gen IV, or the LS3 in the next HSV's.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
ive heard this aswell but speakin 2 an owner of a 300c (Joe Versace owner of wheel workz - sa guys would know his car) even with this feature it still goes through the fuel like a normal V8 would

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
The VZ 6.0L engine has all the hardware and is perfectly capable of doing it. The L98 V8 in the VE range however had all the DOD hardware REMOVED so I doubt we will see it in 6.0L form. The current V8 wont have it atleast, perhaps a new version of the 6.0L Gen IV, or the LS3 in the next HSV's.

that was a really stupid move by holden, i dont know why they didnt make it have it, it would be such a good selling point. ahwell, their loss

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
ive heard this aswell but speakin 2 an owner of a 300c (Joe Versace owner of wheel workz - sa guys would know his car) even with this feature it still goes through the fuel like a normal V8 would

Like ANY car, fuel efficiency depends on driving style. The Displacement on Demand technology (which is not new by the way) is designed to shut down 4 cylinders when you drive it like a nanna. Drive it like you stole it and of course it will still consume like any regular V8. I have spoken to a couple of owners of 300C's and they reckon they can get them to run as efficient as a V6.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
the gen3 onwards shuts off all the cylenders when coasting down hill now.
6.0L was getting D.O.D. but has been shelved, but still get decel shut off

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina

Thats because its a big ass engine in a HEAVY ass car. And as scotty said, it only cuts off 4 cylinders when they are not needed, which they are when you have a constant lead foot.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Thats because its a big ass engine in a HEAVY ass car. And as scotty said, it only cuts off 4 cylinders when they are not needed, which they are when you have a constant lead foot.

DFCO has been around since VN

the DOD may or may not have been shelved for the moment due to lifter noise problems in LS2

Rob

JanetSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ignition
Our's runs really good. it would be sad with 4 less cylinders running. And no I don't have a lead foot yet..............still running her in