Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 heater tap no vacuum

96calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs calais series 1
ok guy's ive done a fair bit of reading and im on my second beer lol, i just replaced the heater tap with a brand new gate's(quality) after reading on here dont buy a cheap one. all my internal vents work so the system has vacuum. my problem lies that the line to the tap has no vacuum.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
is your hose old and hard.. it could be blocked and needs replacing

try using the line going to your air con controls that way it will rule out a dodgy heater tap

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
is the control in this picture moving and not jammed in? it's what control the vac to the heater tap, i've seen them full of gunk and jammed a few times, can be removed and cleaned out easy enough to get working again if it's the culprit.
(will look slightly different this one is missing some bits but still functions)

htc.jpg

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
is the control in this picture moving and not jammed in? it's what control the vac to the heater tap, i've seen them full of gunk and jammed a few times, can be removed and cleaned out easy enough to get working again if it's the culprit.
(will look slightly different this one is missing some bits but still functions)

View attachment 135876
+1. mine stopped working and it turned out that the tab the screw goes thru was snapped off. had no heater because someone had cable tied the tap closed. all i did was drill out the pin on the bottom side and put a screw thru. worked for a while and now ive just replaced it with the one outa my wrecker car.

Even if the vents are fine check for any hissing when you turn your temp control to full cold. and make sure the white arm is attached far enough down the metal rod so that when it is switched to cold, it presses the little button in.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As above - here are some more pics:

Attachments

• heaterbutton..jpg
    heaterbutton..jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,461
  • hotvacswoff.jpg
    hotvacswoff.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,883
  • hotvacswon.jpg
    hotvacswon.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,986
  • heater vacuum.jpg
    heater vacuum.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 3,710

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
going by your username and car, i'm guessing this is a Calais. if it is, ignore everything above.

it will be the vacuum box under the control panel. either a leaky valve, or a bad solder joint.

also, you will only get vacuum on full cold (when the display has C instead of a temp.)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
did you read his post he is asking why he has no vaccum to his heater tap not that his air con isnt getting vaccume he said that if fine.

96calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs calais series 1
Massive thanks for all the help guys, up early again before it gets to hot(good ol qld) don't have the Calais anymore moved into a vs 2 Clubsport. I'll update how it all goes today

96calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs calais series 1
+1. mine stopped working and it turned out that the tab the screw goes thru was snapped off. had no heater because someone had cable tied the tap closed. all i did was drill out the pin on the bottom side and put a screw thru. worked for a while and now ive just replaced it with the one outa my wrecker car.

Even if the vents are fine check for any hissing when you turn your temp control to full cold. and make sure the white arm is attached far enough down the metal rod so that when it is switched to cold, it presses the little button in.

as soon as you rotate the temp control knob clockwise the white arm moves of the black button and the heater tap opens, even when its still on the blue(cold) range on the dial. is that correct??

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
yes that is correct. the best way to align it correctly is to disconnect the metal rod from the white arm. turn you temp knob to full cold. pull the arm towards the back of your car and click the metal rod back in. as long as it pushes the pin in on full cold that is fine. basically what it does is when you put your aircon on you will turn the tap to full cold. this will then turn the tap off and allow full use of the aircon, where as while its still on cold and not pushing the pin in it is directing where the flow of air is coming from. eg whether its coming thru the heater core or from the outside of the car. or any blening of both. that is why the tap will still be open even if its in the blue anywhere