Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 lsd diff to VT V6

CuRt007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2 3.8L
Before I get my nuts ripped off by all the members on here i have tried searching several times, however, it was to no avail.

Does anyone know whether a V8 LSD diff from a VT-VY will fit my VT series 2 executive (5 speed if that makes any difference)?
Is it a straight swap?

Forgive my lack of knowledge :D

Thanks

sly_gen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim gen 3
Only a diff from vt series 2 backwards will fit. Anything newer has a different pinion, unless you want too change tail shafts aswell.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Only a diff from vt series 2 backwards will fit. Anything newer has a different pinion, unless you want too change tail shafts aswell.

He means (from the vx onwards i believe) that if the tail shaft flange is the same as yours (metal), then yes it will bolt straight in, if it is a rubber one (three bolt triangle shaped, with rubber donut) then you will have to change your tail shaft or diff flange, both of which may be a bit difficult.

Also the V8 diff from VT onwards had a 3.07 ratio as opposed to the V6 NA and supercharged ratio of 3.08. Not much of a difference at all, but it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on the speedo accuracy.

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
it dosn't take 2 long if you have all the correct gear 2 or 3 hours max if you are fairly decent with tools .
or even less if you are good .

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
I think 3.9 would be a big step, and you may have to get your cluster re calibrated, with a tech 2? someone else on here would be able to confirm that possibly.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
He means (from the vx onwards i believe) that if the tail shaft flange is the same as yours (metal), then yes it will bolt straight in, if it is a rubber one (three bolt triangle shaped, with rubber donut) then you will have to change your tail shaft or diff flange, both of which may be a bit difficult.

Also the V8 diff from VT onwards had a 3.07 ratio as opposed to the V6 NA and supercharged ratio of 3.08. Not much of a difference at all, but it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on the speedo accuracy.

isn't it VT 2 onwards because when they went the gen 3 they all changed the pinon or something from 7 to 8 spine kinda thing