Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 Motor Issue

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
Hi there team,
I though I would put this out to the team for discussion before I take the beast to the mechanic with my bottom ready to be stretched.

I will give the best description I can in as much detail as possible.
what my wonderfull v8 is doing is upon start up when cold (i.e. a good 24 hour's between starts) is it is blowing smoke, it will blow white smoke for aprox 3-4 seconds and it stops, this smoke smells very very fuely, once it stops the smell appears to vanish.

it blows water vapour, this vapour only appears in the same circumstances as above, a long time between starts, (greater than 12 hours) or on realy realy cold days. afew drops of water will appear on the ground under the exhaust, this goes once the car has been used for a few minutes.

there is no oil use in the motor, the coolant level has not dropped since the leaking thermostat housing was fixed ($590 for a housing pipe if you please) the car does not appear to suffer any knocks, slaps or funny woop woop sounds, it runs smooth and does not miss or skip a beat in any way, fuel economy appears to have gone south slightly. the smoke symptoms have only been happening since Saturday just been, the smoke will only happen once, if I start it within 12-16 hour's there is no smoke, just vapour.

I'm sort of leaning towards a issue with the fuel system, a leaking injector/injectors, or a blocked pcv valve perhaps. also leaning towards the throttle position sensor.
The motor is a Toyota 2uz-fe 4.7lt v8 in a 2004 land cruiser.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Are you glowing the car motor before starting it?

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
it's petrol, no glowing required.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
it's petrol, no glowing required.

Blah. My bad. Just assumed, didnt read all the way down. But, i think you're likely on the right track with the leaky injector theory. How many k's are on it?

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
just over 200k, it's got 201086km on it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Garth

Is your car garaged at night or parked in the open?

How cold has it been in your area at night recently and has it been raining overnight?

Has the smoking situation coincided with a cold/wet spell in the weather?

Your problem could be as simple as excessive condensation in the exhaust brought about by hot pipes cooling in a cold atmosphere combined with a high humidity level.

This can result in excess moisture accumulating in mufflers and pipes which quickly boils off when starting up. The fumes can smell even though they are only steam.

Of course, this won't explain any deterioration in fuel economy. As a further check, have you checked under the oil filler cap to ensure there in no milky accumulation which could indicate head gasket issues?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
What about a dodgy O2 sensor or sensors?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
This can result in excess moisture accumulating in mufflers and pipes which quickly boils off when starting up.

id say this is the reason with moisture on your drive

What about a dodgy O2 sensor or sensors?

this is what i reckon the problem is.

sounds like early signs of the o2 starting to reading incorrectly before it completely shits itself.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-ss-oxygen-sensor-replacement.252878

have a look at my thread when i changed my o2 sensors. different cars, but o2 sensors all do the same job. i had noticed my car change the way it ran (slowly), but wasnt until i put my foot to floor one day and see big cloud of black smoke behind me that i realised something was very wrong.

if it has 2x o2 sensors, even just removing them both and inspecting against each other could give you signs if side is running rich.