Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 not advancing

goldgem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Mucking around with a 304 from a VN commodore thats fitted in a hilux, bit of a rough conversion as in wiring is messy but did run fine apparently. I have done the rear main seal and small tidy up.

Went to set the timing which is easy enough, will set to base timing but wont advance at all the timing just stays where i set it. this then causes pinging and back firing and lack of power obviously.
I have replaced the Ignition module with a recon one, still the same, I have noticed it gets hot burnt my hand a little bit, also checked that its grounded and ran a seprate ground to it aswell and still No good.
I was under the impression that the moudule is responsible for advance and not the ECU
Any ideas??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the ecu makes it advance .set base timing to 10 degrees with diagnostic connector bridged so it locks timing at 10 degrees then remove bridge wire and timing will increase with revs

goldgem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
due to the retro fit there is no doagnostic connector that I can see. The bridge will have nothing to do with advancing the timing it should advance regardless.
If the ecu is responsible for timing then i would imagine it must be a fault with that?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the diagnostic link connector (ALDL) is withen 200-300mm of the ecu plugs should still be on the harness find that and wire in a check engine light and check for codes could be one broken wire to the ignition module will stop all advance if it is.without a check engine light its hard to find whats broken.if the aldl plug is there a tempory check engine light can be wired into it to flash error codes

goldgem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
can someone tell me how to get into diagnostic mode, I have found the plug but do not know what to bridge can some one please tell me what coloured cables need to be bridged.

Brynt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hq vh ss
Mucking around with a 304 from a VN commodore thats fitted in a hilux, bit of a rough conversion as in wiring is messy but did run fine apparently. I have done the rear main seal and small tidy up.

Went to set the timing which is easy enough, will set to base timing but wont advance at all the timing just stays where i set it. this then causes pinging and back firing and lack of power obviously.
I have replaced the Ignition module with a recon one, still the same, I have noticed it gets hot burnt my hand a little bit, also checked that its grounded and ran a seprate ground to it aswell and still No good.
I was under the impression that the moudule is responsible for advance and not the ECU
Any ideas??
Hi goldgem , i know its been awile but what did you find with this problem .. the same thing is happening with my 304 in my hq..