Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 on LPG ?

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
VK 2him its the same as HSV use I think its Orbital autogas . Brian at NU Gas at Taren Point ( Sutherland Shire ) did it .He has a great reputation and has done work me ,my family and many people I know ,so I recommend him as do many people who have Gas cars .
Give him a call I think it was about $4,000
I got the tank that takes the place of the spare wheel ,who needs a spare I ride motorbikes so an electric pump and plug kit is norm for me ,plus I have roadside assist .

blackve76 Absolutely nothing looks different under the bonnet EXCEPT the plastic cover sits about 20 mm higher . Its liquid injection not vapour like old systems .

As for fuel consumption 320 kms used 47.74 litres @ 56cents so thats $26.75 ,now thats a lot of urban motorway driving as well as suburban stop start short hall . Thats better than I get out of my VZ wagon thats factory gas 3.6 motor ,so Im happy . I have seen as low as 7.4 litres /100 on the computer display for 25 Klm section . I suspect fuel economy will be about 10 more used than petrol BUT that does depend on the right foot !!

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Trip computer lies, you need to work it out properly by what you put in / kms travelled.

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
We will see with time what we get, but the 320 kms was from full to full for 47.74 litres , this compares to about 300 klm for 55 litre in my VZ wagon V6 factory dual fuel in similar situations ,so I pretty happy .My experience with the VZ is it uses about 10% more LPG than petrol, Ive got about 340,000 Klm on my VZ . My Vy on vapour system uses about 15% more LPG than petrol . So I now have a V8 wagon that cost around 9-11c per Klm for fuel ,which I'm pretty happy with .

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I got my SSV Redline converted last week by Brian at NewGas using the Orbital Liquid system, very happy with performance and all so far.
One minor problem, the engine cover wasn't fitted as the gas injectors stick up a bit too high for it. Graham downunder, did you need to do anything to get your cover fitted, or is there a LPG engine cover I'd need to buy?

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
if anyone has had their V8 converted to gas, did your engine cover have to be modified to fit, or is there an LPG version of the cover?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
keep if off keeps manifold cool.

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Its even better if you build the engine to suit lpg only.

More compression longer duration cam :boxing:

Heaps more grunt for the same fuel cost :D

Graham downunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais
I got my SSV Redline converted last week by Brian at NewGas using the Orbital Liquid system, very happy with performance and all so far.
One minor problem, the engine cover wasn't fitted as the gas injectors stick up a bit too high for it. Graham downunder, did you need to do anything to get your cover fitted, or is there a LPG engine cover I'd need to buy?

Sorry I haven't been on for a few days .I just sat mine there , Brian gave me the parts to put it on with cable ties but when I was fitting these I just sat it there and it looked ok . I will see how it goes and what it rubs etc on the weekend and let you know . I'm getting about 300 -320 Klm for 50 litres ,I've done about 3,000 Klm since getting it done and would do it again . one thing you may notice is a bit of water vapour in your exhaust even when the engine is warm ,its normal as the maual says for LPG engines .

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thanks Graham - that would be great to get your feedback - do you add the parts to the engine cover or to the rails the cover clips onto? I'm also unsure of the how the engine oil cap would fit too? I might ring Brian to see where I can get those extra parts from if yours works well. Cheers

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
After conversion my turtle shell fits perfectly on the wall of my man cave ;)