Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 or supercharger

HVXII

AWI11
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Acclaim storm grey
ok what would be better putting a v8 in my vx S2 or straping on a super charger whats the pros & cons of both & would it be worth it

minux

Infidel Bear
Reaction score
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
buying a new car would be better.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
if you put the holden supercharger on it it will almost rival the v8 equilvent and should be fairly cheap to do.
v8 conversion costs and bit depending if you go 5.0 or 5.7.
if you really wanted a v8 i'd say sell you vx and get a s1 vt ss ( they go fairly cheap nowadays ).
i reckon supercharger would be cheapest and you can make the 6 beats 8's pretty easily.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
sell the 6 and buy an 8....i did :thumbsup:

there are greater gains to be had with a v8 than a 6
and the feeling of a v8 and the way it powers down feels better than any super6 i have driven.....
dont know what it is about the v8 but it has me grinning from ear to ear

a modded super6 drinks as much feul as a genIII and you have to drive the 6 harder

*here come the flames*

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
More rego on an eight and more cost to service. Go the supercharger. :thumbsup:

However each to their own, V8's really are nice to drive and it is just pure lazy power and torque to play with.

If you want to see what a Super6 can do go here http://www.v6supercharged.com.au/quarter_mile.asp

Last edited:

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
VT_Boi said:
More rego on an eight and more cost to service. Go the supercharger. :thumbsup:

However each to their own, V8's really are nice to drive and it is just pure lazy power and torque to play with.

If you want to see what a Super6 can do go here http://www.v6supercharged.com.au/quarter_mile.asp
rego is the same for 8 or 6...well here in wa anyway.
extra 0.2 hours to service an 8 by the book
coolant only changed every 5years as opposed to 2.5 years with 6
8 tuned properly can be nicer on fuel

yeah put the money into a genIII that those boys have put in there super6 and just wave as you cruise past them.

put exhaust, extractor, OTRCAI, tune, diff gears into a genIII and run in the 12s all day long without a problem like a guy in this forum...OLS108 in his VX berlina
then throw in a cam like most of the guys have on the link you gave and you have blown most super6s and to rub it in throw a supercharger or twin turbo setup on the genIII...might never get traction but hey the 1/4 will be a lot more fun :rofl:

while they are revving the n*ts of there super6 putting all sorts of strain on engine, drivetrain, etc and chewing threw the fuel the genIII does it comfortably and with a good tune is nicer on the fuel.

flame me if you like but its personal preference at the end of the day and my personal preference is the genIII....

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
JDZVNHSV said:
if you put the holden supercharger on it it will almost rival the v8 equilvent and should be fairly cheap to do.

i reckon supercharger would be cheapest and you can make the 6 beats 8's pretty easily.
Read this my good man.. http://www.v6supercharged.com.au/faq.asp#19

The internals and bolt ons are much different on the S/C 6, than the stock ecotec. $8000-9000 extra for making an N/A 6 into an S/C..

minux is on the ball here, buy another car. Get a nice 5.7litre V8 and do **** to it. Ooooh yeah..

Screw the 6 IMO..

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Shounak said:
Read this my good man.. http://www.v6supercharged.com.au/faq.asp#19

The internals and bolt ons are much different on the S/C 6, than the stock ecotec. $8000-9000 extra for making an N/A 6 into an S/C..

minux is on the ball here, buy another car. Get a nice 5.7litre V8 and do **** to it. Ooooh yeah..

Screw the 6 IMO..
i didn't know they were that hard 2 convert.
how much would it cost him to drop a already s/c motor in there?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Hmm.. That would be a bit easier.. He'd still have to change the fuel pump, memcal, mounts and other stuff..

Cross reference it with the site I gave you, think of all the non internals he lists. All of that..

He'd seriously be better off buying another car.. I wouldn't recommend it unless he really loved the car..