Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 power wins 2009 Global Green Challenge

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
V8 power wins 2009 Global Green Challenge

Holden Special Vehicles Maloo takes out prestigious award.

A Holden Special Vehicles Maloo utility has won the 2009 Global Green Challenge economy run, an event which encountered an earthquake, a dust storm and sweltering conditions over seven days of endurance driving.

The 3000km economy run from Darwin to Adelaide, which included extensive city driving tests in both capital cities, saw the HSV Maloo achieve an impressive 48.76 per cent reduction in fuel consumption when compared to its fuel rating label figure.

Overall the Maloo had a combined average fuel consumption of 7.74 litres per 100 kilometres, according to provisional results released this afternoon.

The nearest competitor made a 39.81 per cent improvement, while the third-placed vehicle improved its consumption rating by 33.5 per cent.

The new generation HSV E2 Maloo – an Aboriginal word for Thunder – was driven by Senior HSV Engineers Gerry Bechet and Leigh Russell and motoring journalist Joshua Dowling.

The winning team put their success down to ‘doing their homework’, super consistent driving and a willingness to put up with difficult cabin conditions.

“For instance we kept air-conditioning use to an absolute minimum, which meant coping with cabin temperatures of more than 50 degrees Celsius for hours on end,” Gerry Bechet said.

“We also studied each stage of the drive intensely, down to the climbs and descents and even the contours of the roads.”

Co-driver Joshua Dowling said participating in the event was gruelling.

“I’ve done a lot of economy drives before, but that was by far the toughest,” said Dowling.

“The level of concentration required to maintain a good average speed and drive efficiently is extremely exhausting, especially in such hot conditions over so many long days.”

Managing Director of HSV Phil Harding congratulated the team on the stunning result.

“This shows the versatility of the Holden Special Vehicles brand,” he said.

“This result confirms what I have been saying for a long time and many of our customers confirm – the real world fuel efficiency of the Holden Special Vehicles range is extremely competitive.”

The HSV Maloo is powered by a 6.2-litre V8 which has 317kW of power and 550Nm of torque and can accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in 4.9 seconds. The vehicle used in the event had a six-speed manual transmission.

The new HSV E2 Maloo, released last month, include a new bonnet with twin vents, a new front bumper, Euro-style daytime running lights and a new colour, Poison Ivy, a deep metallic green (the colour of the Eco Challenge car).

Technical upgrades on E2 Maloo include improved economy, revised suspension, launch control and a ‘competition mode’ stability control setting.

Prices start at $62,990 before dealer and registration charges are added.

HSV | Holden Special Vehicles | Homepage

maloo_economy5_full.jpg

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Global Green Challenge - Final Results

Team Holden arrived into Adelaide on Thursday from Port Augusta and on Friday completed a 90.2km drive around the suburbs on an urban cycle.

We received the final results for the 3147km journey - fuel consumption of just 6.48l/100km - that's total fuel consumption of just 203.91 litres and the lowest fuel economy of any Aussie-made six cylinder car

We made a percentage improvement on our ADR score of 30.33%.

Following is our press release on the achievement.

Commodore records lowest fuel economy of any Aussie-made six cylinder car

The Holden Commodore has returned the best fuel economy of any standard Australian-built entrant in a gruelling 3000 kilometre drive from Darwin to Adelaide.

The 6.48 litres/100 kilometre average achieved by Australia’s best selling car is equivalent to driving 1100 kilometres on a single tank.

The standard Omega Sportwagon, with its all new 3.0L S.I.D.I (Direct Injection) engine and six-speed transmission was 30.33% better than its official ADR81/02 combined test score of 9.3l/100km.
Commodore’s 6.48 litre/100 kilometre result compares to the Ford Falcon with 7.04 litre/100 kilometres and the Holden Maloo Ute which recorded 7.74 litres/100 kilometres.

“Over 3000km of driving have demonstrated the improvements we’ve made to the latest direct injection model Commodore,” Holden Vehicle Performance Manager Scott Heywood said.

“This is a standard large, six cylinder family car that can deliver fuel economy better than some four cylinder cars.

“We did the maths before the event but it’s one thing to do it on the back of an envelope and another thing to do it on the desert highway from Darwin to Adelaide. We’re absolutely delighted in the performance of the car and our team.”

In the development of the new S.I.D.I engine technology, Holden set out to improve the fuel efficiency of Australia’s best selling car. As a result, the new Commodore offers a 13% improvement over the previous six cylinder engine. (Based on ADR81/02 combined testing).

Mr Heywood said the Global Green Challenge event was a great experience and he offered encouragement for the Holden-sponsored, Annesley College (Adelaide) team which converted a standard Holden Viva to a petrol-electric hybrid.

“The Annesley College performance shows the ingenuity and determination of local students and teachers and demonstrates potential for the future development of passenger vehicles and the next generation of engineers.”

A team of four Holden employees took part in the Global Green Challenge, a biennial showcase of low emission and alternative vehicles.

Holden: Global Green Challenge - Final Results | Facebook

10834_165200049897_5730024897_2626117_7583827_n.jpg

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Stupid test, all it proves is that the Maloo is the biggest anomaly in Global power vs. ADR testing methodologies. It's more a test of the suitability of the car for the driving conditions and how economical the driver was. For all it matters a Honda Civic or a Mack Truck could have won.

Big engine with super tall gear ratios achieves good economy on highway, who woulda thunk it?

speaking of fuel economy:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2008/a...iesel-coupe-high-performance-low-consumption/
450nm and "When running at speeds above 200km/h it still manages to return 5.4liters for every 100km" i'd like to see the Maloo do that ;).

Last edited:

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Power hungry petrol guzzlers win global green challenge:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:..

The electric car makers are after the organisers >>>:axe:..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's the winner of best improvement on ADR specs that's all. The Fiesta won best outright economy in the fueled car class where I think the Maloo came dead last, you just have to read past the Holden advertising machine

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Totally irellevant in the real world!
Only of use to advertising agencies.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
^^ Yeah I agree but it sounds impressive! ;)

I spose its a bit like The Biggest Loser - it's always the fattest b@stard that has the biggest percentage of weight loss. Similarly, the thirsty Maloo can get the biggest percentage improvement in ADR fuel consumption figures because it has 'the most to lose' if that makes sense.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I don't care if it didn't use any fuel at all. At the end of the day, it still looks balls-up ugly :)

svsex

big blue
Reaction score
Members Ride
190 sv6
man that wuda been hard work, just look at the beast, they had to refrain from putting the foot down in one of the fastest utes in the world haha. its like havin the best damnchik on this earth and all u can do is hold her hand haha