Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 radiator on V6 - is this you?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
OK, set of AU fans being chopped and crammed into place, almost done, and without removing the trans cooler lines from the radiator too! :)

Still no idea on air intake, will try to knock something up.. maybe a 'custom' chopped up VS SC one.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
I heard about this.. Few years ago a mate said he wanted to put a v8 Rad in with a v6 engine. Dont think he did it tho, to much "Hassel" :)

Keep us updated.. B'coz Im keen to do this myself!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Oh I've got a V8 rad in it already, had a VL V8 one in since the new motor a few months back. I've had no problems with overheating which is surprising because i've had no fan for the past 10,000km or so..

Fitting the radiator is piss easy man, just do it :) drops straight in. Not THAT much point to it though, I just love over-engineering things really.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Oh I've got a V8 rad in it already, had a VL V8 one in since the new motor a few months back. I've had no problems with overheating which is surprising because i've had no fan for the past 10,000km or so..

Fitting the radiator is piss easy man, just do it :) drops straight in. Not THAT much point to it though, I just love over-engineering things really.

Perhaps for prolonged burnout sessions ? VN-S V8 radiators drop straight into VN-S V6 body's. Only change is the rubber feet have to be moved from the outer holes in the lower radiator support panel to the inner holes on the support panel. Had some M6x1.0x30mm braised onto the header tanks so my electric fan could be bolted back onto the radiator. Inlet and outlets are slightly larger on the V8 radiator. Little bit of vaso and they slide on no worries.

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Im with Michelson. Move the grommets to the inner holes dropped the VR V8 radiator in and on with the hoses. Too easy. The V6 fan shroud slotted in the lower clips that the V8 one usually does on the bottom of the radiator. Then i drilled a couple of holes in the top of the shroud to match the position of the screw holes in the top of the radiator and presto. Clipped in the fan wiring plug and all done.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I won't be running the rubbish V6 thermo any more.. not sure if I moved those grommets either, I can't remember having to. I'm running a VL V8 radiator, pretty sure it just dropped right in. AU thermos will go on soon (almost ready to wire up) and a front-bar CAI if I can find a way around all this custom trans cooler pipework: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...s-transmission-coolers-really-beneficial.html

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Suppose it wouldn't matter with a VN as their electric fan is only single speed, VR/VS have a two speed fan and really do pull a fair amount of air through.

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
My VP is only a daily so it doesnt worry me with the standard fan but i can understand why you want something a little better Savage. I think the AU fans need trimming back to fit properly. The Mondeo ones i think are slightly smaller and fit right up apparently. Im on the lookout for some for the VR.