Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 standard airbox & intake

Stock AFM SS Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
Have searched but couldn't find the answers i was looking for. Wondering if anyone can give details as to how restrictive the standard airbox and intake is and why? Is it the airbox itself that's restrictive or the intake snorkel, or the piping from the MAF to the throttle body? At what point does it become a restriction, above 5000rpm??? Has anyone removed just the felt piece in the snorkle as pictured?

20190515_161338.jpg

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I’d say removing that felt piece would let the air escape from the snorkel.

The restriction is the piping from the MAF, all those boxes have channels and what ever in there to quieter down the intake, which is why when you put either an OTR or Air Hammer intake on, you get that induction sound, at what RPM I don’t know.

What are you trying to achieve?

Stock AFM SS Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
Just trying to achieve an increase in efficiency if and where possible, hardly take the car over 4500rpm so is it worth stuffing with??? Also have the chance to buy HSV headers with cats off 6.2L VF for $200 but again the question is it worth it??? Where do you draw the line, $250 Mace pod cold air intake (not interested in OTR), $200 plus fitting for headers (AFM so not interested in modifying the rest) , $550 for a tune, that's approx $1,100 - $1,200 all up for how much gain, is it worth it??? I have always modded my rides but for the cost vs results in this situation is it really worth it???

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
If your after efficiency, don’t worry about the usual mods of headers, cats, OTR or Mace....etc

Just do with a simple cat back system for a bit of a note.

Then lower it and leave it.

Stock AFM SS Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
Just do with a simple cat back system for a bit of a note.

Then lower it and leave it.

AFM so not interested in changing cat back or de-activating it, or lowering it.

I still would like to know at what point/RPM said items actually become a restriction, most of posts seem to be related to maximum HP/KW, 95% of my driving is done under 2,500 - 3,000rpm. But I still want to know, at what point does the standard set ups become a restriction?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Then I’d personally leave it be.

Stock AFM SS Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
I still would like to know at what point/RPM said items actually become a restriction, most of posts seem to be related to maximum HP/KW, 95% of my driving is done under 2,500 - 3,000rpm. But I still want to know, at what point does the standard set ups become a restriction?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
all engines are different if u want to see restrictions related to your engine then get a data reader/scanner and log your MAP sensor it is manifold absolute pressure so key on engine not running note down that number (for example 102kpa) when u go WOT any number lower then that is a restriction so u will prob find its ok down low but as the rpm increase the MAP reading decreases showing some restrictions in flow

Stock AFM SS Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
all engines are different if u want to see restrictions related to your engine then get a data reader/scanner and log your MAP sensor it is manifold absolute pressure so key on engine not running note down that number (for example 102kpa) when u go WOT any number lower then that is a restriction so u will prob find its ok down low but as the rpm increase the MAP reading decreases showing some restrictions in flow

So going by everyone's previous experience and data logging where do the restrictions begin? What RPM's with what mods?

I've always dyno'd before and after, every time I've made a modification for each and every modification, so I know how much difference every modification has made on its own, has anyone else done this?

Stock AFM SS Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
Is there any way to tag someone in this post?

His user name used to be Pir4te, I think his new name is Naturally As-pirated.

I am interested to here what he has to say about this.