Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 standard airbox & intake

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Stock AFM SS Wagon, May 15, 2019.

1. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Stock AFM SS Wagon New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
    Have searched but couldn't find the answers i was looking for. Wondering if anyone can give details as to how restrictive the standard airbox and intake is and why? Is it the airbox itself that's restrictive or the intake snorkel, or the piping from the MAF to the throttle body? At what point does it become a restriction, above 5000rpm??? Has anyone removed just the felt piece in the snorkle as pictured?

20190515_161338.jpg

2. DAJOKER

DAJOKER Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 II Wagon
    I’d say removing that felt piece would let the air escape from the snorkel.

The restriction is the piping from the MAF, all those boxes have channels and what ever in there to quieter down the intake, which is why when you put either an OTR or Air Hammer intake on, you get that induction sound, at what RPM I don’t know.

What are you trying to achieve?

3. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
    Just trying to achieve an increase in efficiency if and where possible, hardly take the car over 4500rpm so is it worth stuffing with??? Also have the chance to buy HSV headers with cats off 6.2L VF for $200 but again the question is it worth it??? Where do you draw the line, $250 Mace pod cold air intake (not interested in OTR), $200 plus fitting for headers (AFM so not interested in modifying the rest) , $550 for a tune, that's approx $1,100 - $1,200 all up for how much gain, is it worth it??? I have always modded my rides but for the cost vs results in this situation is it really worth it???

4. DAJOKER

DAJOKER Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 II Wagon
    If your after efficiency, don’t worry about the usual mods of headers, cats, OTR or Mace....etc

Just do with a simple cat back system for a bit of a note.

Then lower it and leave it.

5. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
    AFM so not interested in changing cat back or de-activating it, or lowering it.

I still would like to know at what point/RPM said items actually become a restriction, most of posts seem to be related to maximum HP/KW, 95% of my driving is done under 2,500 - 3,000rpm. But I still want to know, at what point does the standard set ups become a restriction?

6. DAJOKER

DAJOKER Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 II Wagon
    Then I’d personally leave it be.

7. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM

8. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    all engines are different if u want to see restrictions related to your engine then get a data reader/scanner and log your MAP sensor it is manifold absolute pressure so key on engine not running note down that number (for example 102kpa) when u go WOT any number lower then that is a restriction so u will prob find its ok down low but as the rpm increase the MAP reading decreases showing some restrictions in flow

9. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
    So going by everyone's previous experience and data logging where do the restrictions begin? What RPM's with what mods?

I've always dyno'd before and after, every time I've made a modification for each and every modification, so I know how much difference every modification has made on its own, has anyone else done this?

10. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
    Is there any way to tag someone in this post?

His user name used to be Pir4te, I think his new name is Naturally As-pirated.

I am interested to here what he has to say about this.

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    You can try tag someone like this @Stock AFM SS Wagon . Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

As for @PIR4TE / @monstar (along with a few other names), he has been banned.

Don't believe I have seen him back.....yet.

12. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
  13. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    looking at a log i done on 100% stock 2011 L76 there is about 5 kpa vacuum at WOT and it depends on load but most of the loss is above 4k and in the higher gears there is a constant loss of that kpa 4k to redline, upto and around 3k is still looking fine

14. Stock AFM SS Wagon

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Wagon AFM
    Thanks for the info much appreciated.

20190517_065000_compress68.jpg

This is a workmates car, 2009 afm wagon running 98, stock airbox etc except for changed rear mufflers, went from 268.3rwhp to 310.4rwhp, that's 42 rwhp or 31rwkw gain from just a tune with stock airbox.

Hence why I'm wondering why everyone says it's a restriction??

It is just a restriction to cooler air vs an otr? Is it a heat restriction as in retains more heat than other setups? Is it a restriction as harder to tune vs aftermarket?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  15. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    I'd be betting that there isn't a hell of a lot of gain from the airbox before about 4000 rpm given:

- Restriction from a 'small' intake will increase with rpm, so if its 5 kPA, or 5 % of atmospheric, then it could be costing the engine 5 % peak power at peak revs. But at 2/3 of peak revs I'd wager its probably only costing 2.5 %. So probably good for 5 RWKW at 4000 RPM. Not game changing. If you look around for 'Project VE' some tuning place in WA got 10 RWKW with just a CAI, but it had to be very well boxed in so that it did not draw air from the engine bay, as most pod setups do. OTR could get around this for $600 odd...

- CAI might be more useful if combined with a tune and headers and catback to get a considerable increase in power, eg. 10 to 15 %, but $$$

- It may well be that the car doesn't run quite as efficiently at very low RPM, eg. cruising at 1500 rpm if there are harmonics in the intake not being removed by the Helmholz chambers

- If you're not revving it out then you'll end up with 2.5 to 5 % more power and about twice as much noise.

I had one on my previous VE SS, all nicely boxed in, and it probably did go a bit better, but I was never in a situation where I needed those extra KWs

Best thing I did on my car was Brembo's, and before this new front discs and better pads all round. VE V8's aren't so much short of go as short of brakes.

16. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    just that dyno run stock is the number 1 run and every time ive been on a dyno the very first was always low and then the next was higher then the 3rd was minimally more but it was constant after that, if u want a good base line do at least 2-3 runs to get the base figure, or it does look better for the customer