Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercar Parts

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
someone told me that some parts of the suspension on v8 supercars are actually control parts made by mitsubishi.

i'd normally have laughed except the guy who told me is actually a mitsubishi engineer and as it happens of some seniority too.

anyone heard this before? the dampers, springs etc are i'm sure competition bits so maybe the rear suspension linkage?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I'd actually believe it, Holdens still use a 9" FORD diff

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
the idea of a ford/holden only make series using mitsu bits amuses me

altho i know mitsubishi were considering entering it/introducing a v8 model

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Holden use a diff based on the Ford 9 inch now, not the actual blue oval parts. Also Ford used Holden front air dams (modified to fit) on the AU supercars because their own model was a piece.

O

onezero

OSL060: Please don't say you've never heard of people using Ford 9" diffs...

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I was pointing out how good the 9" is, it is a cult diff. Holden use a variant of the 9" for a reason.

Jake.

mr-spares

Reaction score
Members Ride
HRT UTE 355 supercharged
Non of the suspension components in a V8 super taxi's are control components, the pick up points and basic geometry are controlled with the components fabricated in house by the teams mostly. Ford however have Beehag supply most of their components. Ford won this year due to more data and experiance with the double wish bone setup all teams will have to run from here in, the Dunlop is suited to that type of geometry. Holden will be stronger than ever this year with more data and experiance with the VY hibrid, so it is not only the diff that is ford anymore they use the ford front end as well.

Tony

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
well i spoke to a senior mitsu engineer who told me (and a group of others) that they used mitsu bits (suspension from memory i'm fairly sure). i have no idea what exactly he was talking about but i doubt he rose to that position of seniority on the back of talking BS.

so i'm confused anyway because no one's heard of that

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Is that the reason it seemed to take so long for the VY to get anywhere? The VX's were owning them for a period there, seemed they were being a bitch to get right. Must have discovered somthing tho coz hell when the new #51 car was launched the damn thing was so far superior to anything else. Murph truley owned both Bathurst and Puke.

G

Grantis1976

To be honest, it wouldn't suprise me if something in the front end was "similar"to mitsubishi spec, or maybe the front end of the V8 magna sports sedan might have been what the supercars decided to use. I'd rather have "Lord Skaife" or " Sir Murf" beaten by a hemi powered magna, than a blue oval.