Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 supercar pit stop

miss ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S2
Pit stops are so important, we've seen races won and lost in the pits so I'm interested to know what everyone thinks about the new pit stop, tyre changing rule which means that the crew have to share 2 rattle guns, so they can only change 2 tyres at a time.
I love watching the pit stops and this is going to make it more interesting because having to pass the rattle gun over is going to make the stop just that little bit longer (in the begining, at least) so more time for mistakes and a different routine for the crews to master,,,,,, no room for butter fingers here!
I wonder why they changed this rule?
For the fans?, to add that extra bit of competition within the competition?
Cant remember any recent incidents in regard to saftey.
I think .......I like it. :yeah:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
well it was already competition within competition, I think they're just trying to drag the day out that extra 10 seconds.

I can see alot of rattle gun abuse.. One guy does it, then launches it across to his team mate across the ground. Why not get rid of rattle guns and do it manually instead.. That'd be funnier.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
This is the first i have heard of this rule change (though i havn't been keeping up to date with the changes for this year, been busy).

I actually don't like the sound of it. If it is safety there worried about won't this make it worse, guys throwing rattle guns around can't be a good thing. I can see pit crews getting hit in the head with the bloody thing. Even with a helmet that wouldn't be good.

as you know miss ss i like to ramble so i won't disapoint you...

This is my thoughts on pitstops in V8s.
Instead of creating unecessary compulsory pit stops i think the races should be long enough were pit stops are requried for the simple fact that if they don't stop they will run out of fuel. make it a little like F1, 1 race per weekend, each race at least 1.5 to 2 hours long. Limit the fuel tank capacity if necessary but having to pit just because the rules say you have to i think is silly. Still limit the amount of guys on the car to 7 (4 wheels, 1 fuel, 1 jack, 1 car handler), other then that they shouldn't change the pit stops.
So i guess what i want is a change to the racing format rather then the pit stops. I think that V8's have out grown the 3 sprint race round, lets get some decent races happening every round.

Additional...
Lets just hope that they don't take V8's the way that F1 has this year. Eg, 1 set of race tyres, must last entire race.

miss ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS S2
cant quite figure out how they will pass the gun, might be that they have to place it on the ground rather than hand to hand. Not sure, but there's no throwing allowed.
This year is also only 6 crew, 8 at sandown & bathurst

VSTrev said:
Lets just hope that they don't take V8's the way that F1 has this year. Eg, 1 set of race tyres, must last entire race.
no worries there, at least this year, they're getting 2 extra for Hidden Valley and 2 extra for Surfers, shows how tuff Surfers is on tyres hey, 12 tyres for only 240k's of racing (only 240! equal billing?)

agree the format could be changed to longer races

(Sorry bextor84, I meant to say "add to" the extra comp within the comp, not "to add")

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
They'd only need two guys for the tyres if theres only two rattle guns. That cuts down the men you'd need in the Pits..The one guy doing both tyres could very well be faster if he was good at it.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
miss ss said:
This year is also only 6 crew, 8 at sandown & bathurst

Well i guess it will make it more interesting in the pits.

with 6 crew that will be 1 car handler, 1 fuel, 1 jack, 2 tyres so i guess that leaves 1 guy spare. I guess there are a couple of things the teams could do tactics wise in the pits.
1. the spare guy and the jack guy can be the 3rd and 4th tyre guys. tyre guys take fronts off pass gun to to other guys who take the rears off and the same to put wheels back on.
or
2. the two tyre guys hang onto the rattle guns so there is no passing of the gun. The spare guy and the jack guy are the tyre handlres. So car pules up, the tyre guys rattle the fronts off, then run to the rears and do the same, the spare guys will replace the front wheels and the guys with the guns come back and rattle the fronts on while the spare guys replace the rears and the gun guys run back over and rattle on the rears.

Does that make any sense :confused:

hmmm, i guess option one would be less confusing and less dangerous for the crew.