Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercars 2014

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Another weekend and another round. I missed yesterday's races cos I was at work and as it seems I missed some of the most action pack races yet! The highlights looked the goods anyway. Good on Erebus for picking up a 3rd and as much as I dislike Tander it was awesome to see both him and JC take out first and second. Hopefully HRT can have a good showing for the rest of the season to throw another team in to the mix.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Is anyone watching this weekends round? I caught both races yesterday and I've decided the sprint races are getting boring.

I'm pretty pissed that Caruso bumped Scotty off while they were fighting for the lead but justice was served when Caruso finished second last.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Agreed re sprints. A quick blast and park.

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
missed yesterday but ill be watching this arvo.... I'm a diehard V8 fan but the last 2-3 years i've just started to not even bother watching races as they do really just bore me. Not even going to bathurst this year after going for the last 8 years straight as it just isn't really worth it, top 10 is the best thing about the whole weekend.

Re: the sprint racing, I agree it is fairly boring... although parity is really good between the makes and cars it seems to just be the same drivers who dominate which gets boring, they need to introduce a penalty weight system for doing well i think

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
In search of 'Parity' (making them all the same) they've........well............made them all the same..........which is boring.

Sure I'm impressed by driver skills , but not the cars. I prefer more production based racing.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I'll tell you what, FPR need to pull their finger out and work out how to get Frosty winning races. From leading with a healthy margin to behind by 15 is pretty poor. Mostert is almost overtaking as the lead driver!

Amanuensis

Amanuensis
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSz
For the first time in a long time my enthusiasm for the series is waning with the complete loss of holden and ford in the domestic market this series is on it's last legs.

I've been wondering about this too. The Comodore and the Falcon are soon to be memories. GM will start importing US cars, Ford USA has already lined up the Fusion for import so where does that leave the V8 Supercars?

I'm going to present a scenario, with a little evidence to back it up.
Right, for starters,
Penske Racing USA is buying DJR (Dick Johnson Racing)
Richard Childress is looking at the VIP Petfoods team.
Last week end, at the Ipswich event, Scott Mclaughlin's Volvo had a huge 33 side number on his car (NASCAR style)

Can you see where this thought is heading?

Here's a rather odd coincedence.. Calder Park raceway
Its just recently spent money to gain the top fuel dragsters back, that means it can run championship events which make money
Money that can be spent on that 'other' track there.
'Google' Calder Park Thunderdome'

Bloody hell you exclaim, that's like of those Yank tracks.
Correct, it is.
Australia is the only other country (save Canada, no ocean) that has held a NASCAR event..... ever, exhibition race, not all cars, in Japan excluded).

I'm not suggesting banked ovals are gunna spring up like mushrooms all over the country.
Many people don't know NASCARs run circuits too. I personally prefer the ovals myself, 43 cars passing you at 205mph in 1.5 seconds.. That'll do me..
Google 'Sonoma Raceway' or Watkins Glen'

I see either a sort of amagalmation, either a domestic series like V8 Supercars, with the NASCAR style racing beginning. Marcos Ambrose is highly sought after by Penske because, he is direct access to the Australian Market. Lets suppose Australia becomes part of the NASCAR circuit, other teams will come, money will start flowing Aussies will have access to US driving/team opportunities, the V8's may even live on as a preliminary race (like reserve grade) to the NASCAR events, see the 'Nationwide series).

NASCAR will have races here, the V8's (or what ever they become) will go there, they'll go where the money is and the US market is Billions..
I dread saying it, but the ol' V8's may just vanish completely.
The current V8 Champion, Comodore is also the US NASCAR Champion, simply badged the Chevrolet SS. Coincidence?
We have utes, they call'em trucks.

Drivers who've seen the future.
Marcus Ambrose - Petty Motorsports
Brad Jones _ NASCAR experience.
Gary Rogers Motor Sports - Raced the Thunderdome in the Volvo, way back when..
DJ raced the 'Dome too, also has US race experience.
Scott McLaughlin - Just been over to the US on a NASCAR fact finding mission, hence the huge 33 on the Volvo. Its called Product Recognition over there.
Shane Van Geisbergen - These last two feature often on I-racing
Lots of hints hey?

I may be totally off my tree too. I follow both codes, NASCAR and the V8's, and over the last ten years, they are slowly getting closer to being the same type of car until here we are at 2014 and the cars are for all the difference it makes, the same race car. Yanks use 5 stud wheel nuts. Our cars are RH drive. We use different radio frequencies than the Americans.

What are your thoughts?
V8Supercars, a resurgence imminent, or a dinosaur, soon to be extinct?
I personally believe, in 10 years, Australia will offer 5 or 6 races in the NASCAR series and our most successful teams will be there, trying to show the Yanks how its done, including the US events.

If its any consolation, Camaros and Mustangs will be on showroom floors, not sitting at an importers yard. Think of the options.. "wonder if they'll have big blocks?"
Imagine, Dealer backing for your Commemorative 2015 Boss Mustang, or your 8litre Camaro.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
don't want to start an argument but theres a lot of if's but's and maybe's,i highly doubt nascar will ever come here as no one will spend the money to get them here or to build new domes or oval tracks,

ambrose is wanting to come home or be in a more competitive car,the Penske/djr deal seems to have gone cold over the last few weeks.

it might happen but I highly doubt it

Nissan seem to be getting better so hopefully they and the mercs will continue to improve as we need to keep having different winners

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
don't want to start an argument but theres a lot of if's but's and maybe's,i highly doubt nascar will ever come here as no one will spend the money to get them here or to build new domes or oval tracks,

ambrose is wanting to come home or be in a more competitive car,the Penske/djr deal seems to have gone cold over the last few weeks.

it might happen but I highly doubt it

Nissan seem to be getting better so hopefully they and the mercs will continue to improve as we need to keep having different winners

Haven't read the thread but NASCAR in Australia will only ever happen as a 1 off race each year at absolute best. Calder dome is a ruin (drags is a very different matter and track) and tbh the whole complex is just a tad more suburb creep away from another 1000 or more homes called Thunderdowns or similar.

As for some of the big NASCAR/Indy teams buying up V8SC licenses then maybe. I could very much see that happen. Just hope like hell that Ambrose stays ####ed off overseas. Really wish Murph took his block off when he had the chance. Can't see any of the current crop with the possible exception of Ingall having the balls.