Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercars 2015

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The sense of entitlement people have for free stuff in this thread just makes me lol

Was good enough for Channel 7 and has been on free to air since Brocky was a boy!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Was good enough for Channel 7 and has been on free to air since Brocky was a boy!

Actually it hasn't. During the 80's and till at least the mid 90's most races were a 1/2 hour or 1 hour highlights package at 10:30 at night for most of the racing season. During the 70's race day coverage was rare except for Bathurst

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Actually it hasn't. During the 80's and till at least the mid 90's most races were a 1/2 hour or 1 hour highlights package at 10:30 at night for most of the racing season. During the 70's race day coverage was rare except for Bathurst
Plus Lakeside, surfers Paradise. Sandown etc etc.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I know weve had it good but if they want the sponsorship $$$ and the exposure then it should be fta. Why go backwards? Pay to watch tv? Ha ha no thanx! Ads is one thing. We have lives. Ill just go do something else. Constructive, and be better for it, like work on my cars or kick a ball with my son. Digging your own grave V8SC.

Edit: gotta admit though for the most part its a pretty boring track to watch.

Last edited:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Since the V8s are such a joke anyway I'm not too sad about getting a highlights show later on the same day. It means getting a whole lot less stupid comments as they fill time. Yes , I think it's a bad move from them for marketing purposes but I'd rather watch other categories such as TCM, Modified Prod., GTs, etc anyway.

As long as they have the long races live.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
The sense of entitlement people have for free stuff in this thread just makes me lol

well it never really was 'free'
we paid for it by sitting through tv ads and we still are satisfied to pay for it in that way

Ultimately I believe the V8SC is going to regret the decision. It's not big enough to lose FTA viewers and without viewer numbers and wide demographic, big sponsors will start pulling out. Time will tell I guess.

They've certainly lost me as a viewer & supporter. This will be the first year for as long as I can remember that I won't be going to watch them at our local round at Qld Raceway, which is also a big money spinner for them. It's not the same without following the series.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
To all here… I respect all you opinions… However, even though crowd numbers are up so far @ the track - this is not how to continue to bring people into the family of the Premier Australian motorsport category...

Watching the races @ Amaroo Park, BATHURST, Lakeside, Mallala, Oran Park, Winton & Wakefield that fuelled my interest as a youngster & teen in the 70's. This went full blown passion I the early 80's.... all from watching it on TV.

In my 20’s, 30’s & 40’s being able to track my cars on the very same tracks as our monster V8’s ran was just more fuel for my passion… hell… I could say that I have race fuel in my veins, permanently now.

This sport even gave me also a job for 2/3 years, when I had nothing in the early 90’s recession, no full time job, with wifey & 2 kids, mortgage & 19% interest... where I could officiate @ the tracks due to my CAMS licensing… yeah, it wasn’t much but $100-200 dollars a month back in the 90’s went much further than now.

Fcuk U Channel10, Fcuk U Foxtel & Fcuk U V8 Crappycars - you have lost a +35yr veteran watcher of this Australian Motorsport category after making it the biggest piece of shite viewing sport so far, let's hope things change... but when the passion is NOT the sport but the all mighty $$$(Dollar)... I fear it's over.

... and some comments on the V8 Supercars website & Facebook:
"We wont be getting foxtel so lets hope someone at 10 wakes up and realises how many viewers they have lost. ..... Notice crowd numbers dropping?"

"No V8's on channel 10.. this sucks , i,m gonna mow the grass instead."

"Is anybody else disappointed with channel tens telecast of the v8 Supercars? "

/End Rant

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
The 'V8 Supercars' has always been about marketing more than the long term actual 'racing' fan. They just keep painting themselves into a smaller and smaller corner BUT so far the marketing has kept the cash flowing.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the ironic thing about the introduction of the V8SC category, is they claimed it was reduce the costs of the sport, likewise with COTF.
Instead it just blew out the costs. The cars are worth stupid money. They are their own worst enemy

Darcon, I also used to watch the old Grp C's & Grp A's (starting following them around 1980) lots of fond memories at Lakeside. And I've also loved reliving those memories by driving my own car at Lakeside and Qld Raceway on a few track days. Although I didn't like the direction V8SC were going (ie lost all their 'production car' blood), I still enjoyed sitting down one weekend every few weeks and watching the round with the g/f (who also enjoys V8SC). Neither of us watch any other sport apart from tin-top racing, so we really enjoyed those weekends. Anyway that's history now.

I'm hoping with the void V8SC has left, one of the smaller stations like TV4ME picks up something like the Qld and Vic Touring Car series. I've watched them at Qld Raceway, they're awesome - heaps better than V8SC, very similar to the Grp C formula.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
News, live reality type shows and sport are the only areas left where networks can actually return a dollar these days. People want to see their sport live thus making piracy/other means of content delivery virtually impossible where as any drama show is spread all round the 'net within minutes of airing on any market world wide thus killing it's value to the rest of the world.

Sport has been gravitating to dedicated long format coverage for a long time. Football (most codes) have had dedicated 24/7 channels on foxtel for many years now and many people subscribe to foxtel for exactly that coverage (I know a few personally) simply because they can't guarantee to get their games live on FTA. V8SC is just following the trend and being paid a shitton by foxtel with 10 picking what they want.

It's interesting to note a similar reaction when AFL moved towards pay TV with many vowing never to return and indeed many didn't however even more are following the game than before which has been good for foxtel and the AFL. It will be interesting to see what happens with V8SC