Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

( V8 ) Supercars

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
What happened to the whole twin turbo V6 they were supposed to be all running by now? I'm afraid that the whole Supercars thing is pretty much a waste of time compared to the good old days of Bathurst when pure skill at man handling a beast was more important than how much money you could throw at it. I wonder if Peter Brock would have had anything like the success of yesteryear if he was starting out today.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think the twin turbo thing was just advertising for the ZB more than anything serious

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I thought the V6 was the initial plan but it probably got canned due to cost. 888 must have spent a fair bit of coin doing the initial development work.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
What happened to the whole twin turbo V6 they were supposed to be all running by now? I'm afraid that the whole Supercars thing is pretty much a waste of time compared to the good old days of Bathurst when pure skill at man handling a beast was more important than how much money you could throw at it. I wonder if Peter Brock would have had anything like the success of yesteryear if he was starting out today.
Holden had the twin turbo in the 888 VE ‘panel van’ on display when we went to Bathurst race in 2017 and each day it did a lap of the circuit...it was all under testing. From memory I think it was relatively early last year when they put it on the back burner saying they were more likely to have success by continuing to pour resources into the 8. (On a side note, the twin turbo sounded better than I expected but it was no 8 either. For pure aural pleasure, our Supercars have already peaked).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is worth a watch and has the best V8 motor ever used in the day.

hiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
statesman vs series 3
Ford should have used a Mondeo it certainly could not look any worse than the Mustang.

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
Holden had the twin turbo in the 888 VE ‘panel van’ on display when we went to Bathurst race in 2017 and each day it did a lap of the circuit...it was all under testing. From memory I think it was relatively early last year when they put it on the back burner saying they were more likely to have success by continuing to pour resources into the 8. (On a side note, the twin turbo sounded better than I expected but it was no 8 either. For pure aural pleasure, our Supercars have already peaked).

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
Scrap the supercars and race the old bangers for 1000k.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I was thinking that yesterday. Forget the fake bullshit bodyshell race cars and bring back some VP-VS Commodores vs falcoons again.!!

King Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV Series2 6.2 Sportswagon

I was thinking that yesterday. Forget the fake bullshit bodyshell race cars and bring back some VP-VS Commodores vs falcoons again.!!

Yeah, going back a little earlier to 1981, there were 60 starters ( compared to only 25 ? yesterday ) and the sound of the race engines of Bartlett's Camaro / Brock's VC ? / Johnson's XD etc contributed greatly to the spectator experience, compared to the almost anaemic and homogenous sounds of todays racecar.