Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 T5 conversion no start!

fryin5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 5L
I have a 1996 VS 5L and have done a T5 manual conversion on it. It previously had a ####ed turbo 700 transmission so a new ECU and loom was not needed.

Does not crank with key and I have bridged the two grey wires for the inhibitor switch. Ignition turns on and fuel pump is working. Bridged the starter relay pin 87 and 30. Started cranking and have spark but injectors are not pulsing. The efi relay was not clicking so i bridged that too but no luck staring engine.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows the primary circuit for the starter. Can't seem to find one. or if anyone wants to point us in the right direction for diagnosis.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Are you 100% sure you don't have to swap the computer over? The service manual I am looking at indicates that the auto uses the power train module and that the manual uses the ECM. I've got no idea, just reading the diagram hahah!

Here's the diagram:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15445327/VS%20V8.png

I will PM you a link for the manual it is from.

330HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Hi Guys,

Got the same issue with my VS CLUBSPORT..just completed the full conversion but for some reason the car won't start... It cranks over but doesn't ignite the injectors. I've changed the loom...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Are you absolutely sure that you've bridged the correct wires for the inhibitor?

The ecu provides the negative pulse to the injectors, I assume that you'll need to put a manual ecu in and change the speedo wiring so that the speedo works properly etc.