Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Temps, Should I be concerned

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
How old is the sender unit for the gauge?

No idea mate

Replaced the thermostat and went for a drive.

Drove for around 10 minutes at 60km/h at 25 degrees outside.....gauge was sitting just over 1/4.......So it seems no improvement.

Water pump next?

de_overfiend

Beef is Good
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calias
Sounds like you have covered all the bases so a new pump is in order.

replace the pump and clean up the contacts on the temp sensor and the lead.

chuck a whole bottle of nulon ultracool into it and then top it up. should be sweet then. should stay at 1/4 to 1/3 all the time

Mark-VS-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
what kind of radiator did you put in it? how long ago? how thick is the core?
you might of got some cheap **** that doesnt do the job.
it sounds like it's a radiator or air flow issue issue.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
what kind of radiator did you put in it? how long ago? how thick is the core?
you might of got some cheap **** that doesnt do the job.
it sounds like it's a radiator or air flow issue issue.

Unsure of the brand, can't remember off the top of my head

Was around $400 from Repco, they did offer me the cheap nasty one but I declined as I wanted something that would last

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Mate before you go start pulling water pumps off, check your clutch fan. They can loose there grip and wont engage when the engine warms up. 2 tests: 1. When u first start up in the morning the fan will be loud with lots of air "wooshing" 2. once the car hits about 1/4 on the gauge pop the hood. It should be like a hurricane in the engine bay at this point. If the fans not blowing much are at this point or hotter its shagged.

Engine temps will sit at about 3/4 or above if this is the problem. The limited fanning affect of a shagged fan and the auxilary thermo at the front will stop it from creaping into the red.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Mate before you go start pulling water pumps off, check your clutch fan. They can loose there grip and wont engage when the engine warms up. 2 tests: 1. When u first start up in the morning the fan will be loud with lots of air "wooshing" 2. once the car hits about 1/4 on the gauge pop the hood. It should be like a hurricane in the engine bay at this point. If the fans not blowing much are at this point or hotter its shagged.

Engine temps will sit at about 3/4 or above if this is the problem. The limited fanning affect of a shagged fan and the auxilary thermo at the front will stop it from creaping into the red.

I tried swapping the fan over from a mates 5L which has been running under 1/4 and still no go.....but I don't hear too much fan roar (I do have a reasonably loud exhaust though)

I got a fair bit of noise on cold start but not really any noise at all when it's hot.

Belts are tight etc, so not sure.......I have tried 3 different fans so far and they are all the same, including the one pulled off the good car.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Still sitting around 3/4 at points Someguy?
Mine sits just over 1/2 most of the time.
Maybe check the condensors and such for build up? Give them a good degrease and see how that goes?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Still sitting around 3/4 at points Someguy?
Mine sits just over 1/2 most of the time.
Maybe check the condensors and such for build up? Give them a good degrease and see how that goes?

Yeah occasionally on the freeway up track (which is quite steep) it gets up there.

Yeah, tried giving it all a good clean to assist in airflow.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The dash gauge calibration may be out. might need to double check the actual temp using an aldl cable and logging software.

Failing that, the water pump it may be. I'd still suggest you check under the radiator panel to see if that plastic strip is fitted.