Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Transmission service procedure & oil advice

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Hi all,

My Caprice is getting close to the 60k kilometres mark so I'm thinking its time to complete a transmission service soon.

Im guessing the procedure is straight forward and same as its for a VE??
Remove/replace the filter, fill up 6 litres from the plug hole then start the car, change from Park to Drive a few times then while the car is still running and reached that normal temp top up the remaining 300ml of oil or at least until it starts dripping out from the plug hole?

My next question is the type of oil to go for??
Ive narrowed it down to either between Mobil Dexron VI ATF (https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/dexron-vi-atf) or Penrite Multi Vehicle Full Synthetic ATV LV (http://penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-lv-full-syn).
I must admit though been having a real tough time trying to find anywhere here in Melbourne who is stocking the Mobil trans fluid.

Has anyone had good or bad experience with either of these two fluids in your VF's or would recommend something else?

Thanks in advance.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If you want to change fluid type you're better off getting it flushed properly by a shop as quite a bit stays in the converter, cooler and lines when you just do a dump and fill. A proper flush machine gets all the old stuff out.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I get mine done once a year, pan and filter only with Castrol. Three shops across two towns said they can flush the entire system but none recommend it. One shop owner even said if it was his vehicle and could use his equipment and labour he still would only drop whats in the pan. Makes you wonder why they all had a machine that does it and whats so special about a 6l80e.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Have flushed alot of transmissions over the years and never had a single issue.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just dump what you can and refill it with synthetic gear. Given the mileage between changes i wouldn't even consider using anything but synthetic.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They run synthetic from factory ie Dex6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Deleted

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You might be able to buy the mobil gear from the stealerships. I have a few friends that needed it for their Grands and were having trouble getting hold it in Sydney.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
A trans shop up here recommended the AC Delco dex 6. They reckon it’s as good as any aftermarket fluid and it’s cheap. 20L drum cost me less than $100 from holden. My box is stalled with a brutal tune & lock up settings and I drag race it at least once a month & have since new. i’ve never had a problem, temps are on the low side of the range and both fluid changes the fluid was still in prime condition. For my mind the factory fluid is the go