Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 & V6 strength differences?

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
that brings me to another point, Are the spider gears and side gears shotpeened too in V8's

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
really wouldnt call 12 seconds fast anymore anyone with a gen 3 and few bolt ons can do that now lol

And they do it down Auburn St at 5pm hey Davo!

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
quick quesiton, i have a "high performance" diff so the tag says, and with the age old jack it up and spin the wheels lsd test it passes with flying colors, but is it really an LSD cause they released diff with "high performance LSD" on the tag, it does LS but i want to know so when i get the gears installed i'll ask em to shim up the lsd and make it tight again

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
shot peening is fasinating to watch.
simply the metal is heated to around 900* and only one ball bearing is fired at it,
it is easy to tell if it fail to temper or not,bye sight and sound.
a ping is heard like a crystal glass and a shockwave is visable to the naked eye,(sortof like seeing a bomb shockwave)
running from the center to the outer in a radius motion.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Are you sure about that? I thought thousands of balls were shot at the metal to forge the surface layer?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
quick quesiton, i have a "high performance" diff so the tag says, and with the age old jack it up and spin the wheels lsd test it passes with flying colors, but is it really an LSD cause they released diff with "high performance LSD" on the tag, it does LS but i want to know so when i get the gears installed i'll ask em to shim up the lsd and make it tight again

High performance tags are normally on live axle and the LSD diffs actually say LSD (i.e. the high performance LSD that you mentioned).

But if it passed the test spinning the wheels i'd say its LSD.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Are you sure about that? I thought thousands of balls were shot at the metal to forge the surface layer?

for the diff's that's posable but for tempered saw blades 500mm dia
only one does the job.