Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 , VS Caprice Engine Clang

Queen of hearts

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 Vs statesman
I have just had a "recon" engine put in my Vs. Went and picked it up , made it about 30km before i could hear and awful "clang" sound coming from the engine. I stopped and got out was running smooth so i hit the throttle and at about 2500rpm there it was. Its real loud and sounds bad but only at 2500rpm. Almost sounds like the fan is hitting the shroud, but no thats not it. The guy who did the job and took my money for the recon engine dosent want to deal with it anymore, says he doesent know what it is. I have taken it to someone else who listened and his first thought was "loose piston" and second was "Flex plate" . Would i still hear noise at any rpm if it was loose piston? And how much damage may this have caused? More god damed money!!!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Flexplate would be a good guess but I don't understand why it would only appear bad at 2500rpm. Did you mean the noise is bad at 2500rpm and over?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Harmonic balancer? they make a hell of a racket when the rubber finally lets go......water pump? ...try and locate the area the noise is mainly coming from, can be a pig as sound rebounds of everything. Also give it a quick run without the serpentine belt on, if it stops you will have a good idea where to look :)

Queen of hearts

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 Vs statesman
There is no noise at all when it's idling or just driving around town at 50-60 km but if I accelerate hard up over 2500 rpm that's when I hear it . We picked it up , it sat ideling while we talked to the guy. Drove to the shops and then headed for home about 30km into our journey as we accelerated up a slight hill that's when we noticed it. Stopped , got out listened , sounded good but hit the throttle to 2500 and LOUD clanging noise.

Queen of hearts

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 Vs statesman
Definitely not the water pump had the belt off ran the car still makes the same sound, most savage noise I have ever heard.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hmm not good....anyway doesn't matter what the mechanic said your still prob covered by our great consumer rights :) ...go back and find out who is responsible, if no luck your could try consumer affairs or fair trading.. if your a RAA (or whatever it is in VIC) member hit them up, they are great for sorting these sorts of things out

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Who's this "guy"? And why have you jumped right in to trying to fix his mistake? I'd go down the legal road before bending over and taking it in the ass.

Sounds like he's done a **** job and doesn't wanna own up to his mistake - doesn't it make you wonder what other mistakes he's made along the way?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Who's this "guy"? And why have you jumped right in to trying to fix his mistake? I'd go down the legal road before bending over and taking it in the ass.

Sounds like he's done a **** job and doesn't wanna own up to his mistake - doesn't it make you wonder what other mistakes he's made along the way?

I agree 100% with the above.
You should name this clown on here so no one else goes there, and go see a lawyer, dept of fair trading or MTA etc. He should fix it, or if he cant fix it, then he should pay for it to be fixed. These low life mechanics do this crap because once people have dramas, they just let it ride, dont do anything about it and go elsewhere to get the problem(s) fixed. Dont let the low prick get away with it.

Last edited:

Queen of hearts

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 Vs statesman
The guy who had the car originally had it for just over three months and said he sick of looking at it and doesn't Wanna do it any more that's why we're taking it to a new mechanic , he doesn't know what it is wont work on it and we want our car back. I'm seeking legal advice and hopefully be able to get him to pay for the repairs to get the car fixed or get our money back for the so called "recon" engine

Queen of hearts

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 Vs statesman
The guy we have it with now is getting us a quote for the repairs and letting us know exactly what's wrong with it before we go ahead with anything , I need to know what's wrong and how much before I can go the legal route.