Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 with auto

J

Jono

my auto box doesnt change into 4th gear until i get over 70kph when im just crusen is this normal, and sorta has a ruff change going down into 1st sometimes. I hate auto's i wish i could get a manual but to many slack drivers around. Fancey buying a v8 with a auto in it, its just crazy.

but i had no choice in this car as it was the only second hand v8 i could find for my budget.

99VT Calias w/HSV 195i

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
be grateful you have a 4th gear behind your v8. damn trimatics.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
vlv8vic said:
be grateful you have a 4th gear behind your v8. damn trimatics.
he he nice comment TH700 in 4th cruze :) .... Go the 5litre vn's like me!... lol

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
...on the cards mate. just looking into some injection for mine. Wanna get a wrecked VN or up to do a complete driveline changeover. planning any rear impacts with yours by any chance? lol (dont crash it now mate ill feel bad!)

W

wbcaprice

have you checked the fluid levels in your gearbox?? cause some boxes run pretty rough if there is just a little under full, cause the fluid thins out when it heats up. check the dipstick at the back of your manifold, near your dizzy :)

H

HSV1992

May also have lower diff gears like 3.9 or 4.11 or the shift points have been changed on the computer or both. The car sounds modified to be a calais with a 195i

J

Jono

Well the gear box is due for a service soon so they can check it out. I'll tell you what they say

WISH IT WAS A MANUAL :ranting:

B

Benji...

Jono said:
my auto box doesnt change into 4th gear until i get over 70kph when im just crusen is this normal, and sorta has a ruff change going down into 1st sometimes. I hate auto's i wish i could get a manual but to many slack drivers around. Fancey buying a v8 with a auto in it, its just crazy.

but i had no choice in this car as it was the only second hand v8 i could find for my budget.

99VT Calias w/HSV 195i

All normal. VS III and VT I had different PCM mods to what was normal for VR and VS 4L60E autos. The shift is usually at about 68 - 72 Kph and NO, the diff gears are not taller if the car is not modified. 3.08 ratio was factory and will yeild a cruise RPM of roughly 1950 RPM @ 100 Kph (stock tachos are **** at accuracy).

The kick back to first should only happen at a crawl speed unless given a boot full or some one is trying to drive a calais as a SS SuperCar.