Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 WK Statesman automatic transmission issues

Scottoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Ute
Hello again,

A little while ago I posted a thread seeking help regarding some gearbox troubles.

2003 WK V8 statesman, Automatic

Problems;

1) speedometer reads double speed e.g. 50kph was reading as 100kph.
2) Gearbox wasn't shifting when in drive.

I was given some great advise to replace the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) for problem 1 and to replace shift solenoids for problem 2.

I am returning tonight as today I have done both of those with no avail. Car is still not shifting and still reading double my speed.

Something I noticed this afternoon was that when shifting through the gears, the cluster does not move from "D". Even though Reverse will engage and I can pull away "D" remains the gear selected on the cluster.

Any thoughts on where to go next? Is it even possible for these two issues to be related? Where does the signal go after the VSS?

Kind Regards,

Scott

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I recently replaced my manifold pressure switch on an earlier version 4l60e to fix a fault code where the trans was not telling the ecu which gear it was in.
Not saying this is your issue, but maybe related to the display staying in "D" even when you pull it down the gears.

Scottoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Ute
Were you able to engage all gears and continue to drive, or were you stuck in selected gear? Did yours have similar symptoms?

Cheers

Scottoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Ute
After changing solenoids or a VSS is the car required to have a reset of some sort or codes removed etc?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Were you able to engage all gears and continue to drive, or were you stuck in selected gear? Did yours have similar symptoms?

Cheers
Quite a different issue in mine. And quite a different ecu program running it, so I highly doubt ours are related. But the same part may cause a different problem in your later model vehicle was my point.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Is you malfunction indicator (MIL) light on? Sounds like you really need to get your error codes displayed with a Tech2 (or equivalent) scan tool and post the results on here.

The other possibility (and I'm just speculating here) is that an incorrect speed sensor has been installed. Refer to the image below and the note that the sensor voltage is model dependent. The V8 section of the Holden Workshop manual is quite specific about the number of PPMs and PPRs that are sent to the PCM. I couldn't find any similar information for the V6 or supercharged V6.

1623754322703.png

Scottoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS Ute
No engine light what so ever which is interesting, I assumed it would through a light for the poor shifting. Is it possible to throw a code without an engine light? I do apologise for what could be an obvious question.

I’ll look into the specifics of the new vss as well. Thanks