Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vacuum elbow replacement

Sikkinixx

Ford Traitor :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Wagon
Ok, so my wagon started idling rough and had lost most of its power. After some investigation, I found the vacuum elbow off the intake manifold was cracked. I tried taping it, but it was too far gone.
I sourced a replacement part and put it on when it arrived in the mail. Took it for a spin......beautiful :) The next day, jumped in to go up the road, and as soon as I started it, rough idle and loss of power!?? Checked the elbow was still in place, which it was, restarted it, STILL missing. That afternoon, drove it again and it ran fine.
If anyone could give me a clue as to what might be causing the issue to reappear, I would be extremely grateful.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Maybe your maf got some dirt in it when you had a cracked elbow clean maf some contact cleaner

Sikkinixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Wagon
Maybe your maf got some dirt in it when you had a cracked elbow clean maf some contact cleaner
Just checked the maf and the wires look pretty clean. Maybe some slight discoloration, but no gunk.
Would disconnecting the battery perhaps reset the computer? Or is there something else I can check?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Scan for codes if you havnt

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Disconnecting the battery won’t reset the computer as many believe.

Sikkinixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Wagon
Scan for codes if you havnt
Yeah, think I'm gonna have to get an OBD2 scanner. I noticed when I pulled the maf sensor out, there was a gasket behind it that looked pretty ratty. Could that possibly make a difference? I can also hear like an air leak sound when it's running!? Just can't seem to locate it

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Yeah, think I'm gonna have to get an OBD2 scanner. I noticed when I pulled the maf sensor out, there was a gasket behind it that looked pretty ratty. Could that possibly make a difference? I can also hear like an air leak sound when it's running!? Just can't seem to locate it
You know what to do then check for vacuum leaks i also noticed the pcv valve connects in a few places around the top one too elbow hose looks like it come out easy

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Those hoses/pipes are still available new. Not expensive and would be on par with the cost of rubber hose and adaptors.

Sikkinixx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ Wagon
Those hoses/pipes are still available new. Not expensive and would be on par with the cost of rubber hose and adaptors.
I got another elbow for $18.50 from eBay. Ordered Friday, received it Monday.