Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vacuum Leak from interior VS commodore

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey guys everyone knows that when you replace your stock stereo for an aftermarket one you have to pull the console out and also the heater controls. When you pull the heater controls out you disconnect the vacuum lines and also the 2 electrical wiring looms behind the controls. After I put my new head unit in (this was about 5 months ago), whenever I started the car up it used to leak, but then after about 2 seconds of leaking it stopped and worked fine. Now today I took it all apart again try to fix a creaking sound of the plastic and also this little leak thing. Now after reassembling it all it just continuously leaks and I can no longer change the direction of air flow. The vaccum lines are flush up against the hearter controls, so the only thing I can think of is when I have moved the lines around one of them has cracked and now leaks??? How do I fix this and if I cant do it myself where do I go to get it fixed? Please help guys its not essential for the cars operation but its a pain in the ass.

Thanks,
Alex

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
There's another major vacuum line about 2/3 of the way back on the driver's side which feeds the lot, sounds like you've disturbed that. You can feel around and get to it without taking the shroud around the stereo off again. Usually when trying to feed the heater tap control rod through people knock it off. :)

PS: I've found the best way to push that cluster of vac lines back on is to feed a screw driver through the middle of the hoses and then pull the screwdriver back toward you, doesn't damage anything, and seems to work the best for me... I wish those lines were 3" longer, heh.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
are you sure it's "leaking". If you can't change direction of air-flow, it means the lines are on in the wrong order. There should be a guide detailing the correct order, and proceedure for testing this. If not, drop into repco or something and grab a manual for your model, it'll have the correct order for hoses and testing proceedure. Just cause it's hissing, doesn't mean it's leaking, just means it's flowing, and probably in the wrong direction.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
That did the trick, thanks for such a quick answer. There were 2 plugs there one was on one was knocked off, its all good now.

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Vacuum lines only go on one way, they got like a moulding like a loom so it will never be that. The problem is fixed thanks to Camstatic's information.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Vacuum lines only go on one way, they got like a moulding like a loom so it will never be that. The problem is fixed thanks to Camstatic's information.

sorry for my two cents then, you can see we posted at the same time. :whistling

so it turned out you removed the moulding and not the hoses themselves, good ya got it fixed then. :thumbsup:

Changa

Alex Short
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeah didnt ever realise there was another connection back there. I cant believe I didnt see it as I was unscrewing and rescrewing the screw that holds selector rod for hot/cold air all the time and never noticed it.