Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

valiant charger;)

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have been watching your thread with much delight!!!!
Well hopefully here is some inspiration for you!;)
Here is a pic of my charger.....
It has a 360 Cubic Inch V8 but was bored out to 426 Cubic Inch years ago.:thumbsup:
All the wiring in the engine bay is totally hidden and the battery etc is in the boot making it look nice and neat.
It has some serious tyre fryin torque :wax: but it hardly gets driven at all now. It is treated with kit gloves these days since it was totally restored about 14 years ago.
Interior is sweet as and in very good nic.
It is only club registered nowadays and comes out once a month for a club run etc, or is used as the odd formal/ wedding car.:dance:
It was a big project at the time but it was worth every bit of blood sweat and tears that went into it, but it is all worthwhile cos it is a real treat to take it for a spin.:thumbsup:
The best thing is it is appreciating in value now.
Keep up the good work champ!:bow:
It is all worth while!:p

FTW!!:D i had been hopeing you would post up some pics of your charger!! i still rember looking at it from my old thread;) i would love to have a garage like that to work in to!! my garage is justa tandem setup and its hard to move around some times but i make do:thumbsup: cheers also to everyone for the comments!! actually i have been crook for the last 2 days with tonsillitis:( :mad:i get it alot throughout the year and i will have to wait 2 years to get my tonsills removed:mad: but i have been looking foward to getting stuck back into her;) i have been hobbleing downstairs and looking at my progress and thinking of how good she will look when back on the road:D also Rhino Raceing that stroked 360 must sound awesome:yeah:actually the wife and i talked about whether to put the original 265 back in it or source an eight from somewhere, but we decided to stick with the 265 as its the original motor and box and when the chargers where running those motors they where the fastest accelerating production car (with the 265 motor and trip webbers) in australia for 27 years! they lost that crown to my knowledge to the hsv GTO! but i would of loved to have a 426 hemi sitting under the hood:bow::yeah:

Last edited:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
while you have it in parts take the steering box of and check the chassie behind it they rust out there I had a 78 modal I had to repair it and it would of be alot easyer to do

yeah i heard it was common for the charger to get chassis cracks around the steering box (from the hey charger book) but PP&R does a complete chassis rail sleve repair kit to fix the problem:thumbsup: but by the look of it the car has been fixed there before as i can see welding on the chassis rail near the steering box? so will have a good look when the engine bay is blasted and painted!

=SKB=

Reaction score
Chargers are farking sweet cars. Good luck with the restoration. My only tip would be don't stick RT badges on it. Oh and keep the 265.

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
Thanks for the comments mate.
All i can say is if it came out with a 265 definetly keep it in her. ( especially if it is the correct eng no.s etc)
I have had 2 other sweet chargers and they have been 265's one was a 3 speed and the other was a 4 speed. ( Dam i wish i never sold those cars!!!)
I have been looking for another charger for the last 12 months(factory 265) as my next project .
A mate of mine that has a monaro collection has picked up a genuine E38 for $6000 in exceptional condition. Stuck in a shed for the last 15 years....etc etc. He wont sell it to me... he knows what it is worth ( funny thing is he used to flame me for my Valiants etc ) But he is converted now.
So yer.... keep the 265... those things go like stink!!!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks for the comments mate.
All i can say is if it came out with a 265 definetly keep it in her. ( especially if it is the correct eng no.s etc)
I have had 2 other sweet chargers and they have been 265's one was a 3 speed and the other was a 4 speed. ( Dam i wish i never sold those cars!!!)
I have been looking for another charger for the last 12 months(factory 265) as my next project .
A mate of mine that has a monaro collection has picked up a genuine E38 for $6000 in exceptional condition. Stuck in a shed for the last 15 years....etc etc. He wont sell it to me... he knows what it is worth ( funny thing is he used to flame me for my Valiants etc ) But he is converted now.
So yer.... keep the 265... those things go like stink!!!

will do:p What your friend picked up an E38 for $6000!!:my::eek: one just sold down in sydney at the shannons motor auctions for $150,000!!! (of course it was a fully restored and mechanicly correct e38) dont tell him that, just offer him like $20 or $30k then go for a nice cruise down to sydney:whistling:p

Last edited:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Chargers are farking sweet cars. Good luck with the restoration. My only tip would be don't stick RT badges on it. Oh and keep the 265.

cheers mate:thumbsup: dont worry no R/T badges will be going on her;) the only way the car would ever have R/T badges on her is if i wanted to make some good money off the car and do the car up as a vitamin C E49 R/T replica! but the car will be getting sprayed ford phantom purple and will probably have 2 black stipes running down the hood over the top and down the back! or maybe it wont have any stripes dunno yet:p but will definatly be getting done in phantom purple!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
not happy jan!!

i stuffed up big time with the charger today:(:mad: i was sanding back the other 1/4 panel today and thought i would try a sanding attachment that fits onto my 4 inch angle grinder to make the job quicker ( i have a panel beating book that says to use this kind of sanding pad) i usually use an orbital sander but anyway the damn thing has made some deep groves all over the 1/4 panel:cry: i didnt notice this untill after doing the whole damn panel (go figure) i dont know why its done this as i used p80 and p120 and i moved fairly quickly over the panel:( now i will have to run bog over the panel to mask the imperfections:bang:
will keep all updated and hopefully it will be right!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
well after doing the final sand (with the orbital sander) im glad to say that most of the marks where not as bad as first thought (thank god:bow:) i didnt have to use any bog @ all and the primer has filled alot of the small imperfections:thumbsup: the orbital sander has worked wonders yet again! it basicaly slowly buffed the marks out!. By the time the spray putty goes on and then the paint all should be good:) well also on the bright side i have learnt a valuable lesson today! its better to take your time with a slower machine than to try to speed things up and stuff things up:thumbsup: i have also learnt you cant trust everything you read in a book & seeing as this is my first Real project car (full ground up restoration) im sure i will learn more things along the way:thumbsup::)

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
Great stuff. Keep us posted as you progress.

For some reason I see a few Chargers around the Castle Hill NSW area.

The old muscle cars still make you smile.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
On large panels that you can wash easy paint stripper is your friend, apart from being even more toxic than paint dust :p