Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

valiant charger;)

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ok its not a holden but still an awesome car!
my wife and i bought this charger from a guy up @ beerwah about 2 years ago for $500! he had it sitting under a mango tree with grass up to its doors and not even a tarp over it:bang: as i result the car has rust in the rear 1/4 pannels, the boot floor needs replacing and rust has eaten away areas around the lower windscreen:(! so i called out a guy who does valiant restorations and he said i would be looking at $8000 just to get the body up to repaired and primed stage and that in his opinion it was not worth it! i asked him but is it still restoreable? and he said yes but it would cost ALOT to get someone else to do it! so the car has been sitting in my garage since i bought it doing nothing! then the other day when polishing my vs calais i sat in the garage looking at her and made the decision that if it ever was to see the road again it was going to have to be by my own hand:wax::thumbsup: so heres some pics of the old girl and some of the repairs i have done already!
by the way i had this thread already up in the projects section but was unfortunatly lost when the site crashed a while back but you get that:thumbsup:

Attachments

• charger pics 058.jpg
    charger pics 058.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4,578
Last edited:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
sorry heres some of the pics:p

Attachments

• charger pics 077.jpg
    charger pics 077.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 3,341
  • charger pics 101.jpg
    charger pics 101.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 4,433
  • charger pics 105.jpg
    charger pics 105.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,969
  • charger pics 113.jpg
    charger pics 113.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,773

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
heres some before and after shots of the roof:)

Attachments

• 101_1173.jpg
    101_1173.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,492
  • 101_1172.jpg
    101_1172.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 101_1171.jpg
    101_1171.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,422
  • 101_1168.jpg
    101_1168.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,505

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
Hey Charger!!!!!

I am glad to see you started this thread again mate.:thumbsup:
I am really looking forward to watching your progress.;)
Just stay commited and make sure it is not another well intentioned project started that never see the road again and becomes scrap along the way.
Too many cars end up sold off like this and just become spare parts in someone elses shed.:bang:
The good thing is these older cars are becoming worth more due to their "muscle car status" and although you may be over capitalising on it a bit now... it may be worth more in time if it is the right model etc.:whistling

In your previous thread ( the one lost during the great JC crash of 2007:p)you said your wife was all for the project and was the one that really encouraged you to do it. Good on her! You and i are both lucky to have partners that genuinely enjoy the same interests and supportive with projects like this!:thumbsup: ( God bless their souls!):bow:
Keep up the good work!
Keep us informed!

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Great to see people still doing up real cars.

I'm not sure why he said it wouldnt be worth it- I havent seen a genuine charger for sale in any sort of nic for under $20k. Most I've seen are chasing around $40k for an average condition original.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I am glad to see you started this thread again mate.:thumbsup:
I am really looking forward to watching your progress.;)
Just stay commited and make sure it is not another well intentioned project started that never see the road again and becomes scrap along the way.
Too many cars end up sold off like this and just become spare parts in someone elses shed.:bang:
The good thing is these older cars are becoming worth more due to their "muscle car status" and although you may be over capitalising on it a bit now... it may be worth more in time if it is the right model etc.:whistling

In your previous thread ( the one lost during the great JC crash of 2007:p)you said your wife was all for the project and was the one that really encouraged you to do it. Good on her! You and i are both lucky to have partners that genuinely enjoy the same interests and supportive with projects like this!:thumbsup: ( God bless their souls!):bow:
Keep up the good work!
Keep us informed!

thanks mate:thumbsup: i wont let my wife read this post she will get a swelled head:p but seriously yeah im definately blessed with a good wife and family! my 6yo son loves his cars (especially lightning mc queen:p) and my wife actually was the one who was first interested in getting a charger (i was into my holdens/fords) and once we drove out there and i did some research into chryslers back ground i was hooked:thumbsup: i have been getting stuck into it again today, ive been stripping back the lower drivers side rear 1/4 panel (day off work) and there has been some significant damage (mainly dints all along the pannel) the bog on that one side was over a 1/2 inch thick:eek:!i think hes brushed it against some thing but the good news is i can fix it:wax::thumbsup:yeah i have been doing alot in one go but i just make up my mind and go for it:wax:! (even if i slack off my wife will boot me in the backside:p)Your also right there is alot of people that get stuck into it and dont follow through with the job and then get rid of what could of been a great street car:( but rest assured i will most definately not be in that category;)!!! actually ive been getting stuck into it too stop most of the rust from developing any further and because ive had the funds lately (for a change) and well ive been pretty bored:p well i will post up some pics tonight of the lower gaurd that ive finished and i will defineatly keep you all posted;)
Great to see people still doing up real cars.

I'm not sure why he said it wouldnt be worth it- I havent seen a genuine charger for sale in any sort of nic for under $20k. Most I've seen are chasing around $40k for an average condition original.
thats exactly what most people said on some of the charger forums that ive been to! the said even if it cost $8000 to get the body completely up to good nick they said you cant by a decent charger for close to that! so they said go for it:thumbsup:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
well got the rear 1/4 done today was a pretty big job:wax: but its all ready to now be fixed with the body filler and then primed:thumbsup: will post some pics up tommorow (if i get around to it) its starting to look pretty good on the drivers side of the car now:)

DND

Banned
Reaction score
while you have it in parts take the steering box of and check the chassie behind it they rust out there I had a 78 modal I had to repair it and it would of be alot easyer to do

kirks_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
nice work, cant wait to see the finished

Rhino Racing

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn/vp Speedway Street Sedan
Some inspiration!

I have been watching your thread with much delight!!!!
Well hopefully here is some inspiration for you!;)
Here is a pic of my charger.....
It has a 360 Cubic Inch V8 but was bored out to 426 Cubic Inch years ago.:thumbsup:
All the wiring in the engine bay is totally hidden and the battery etc is in the boot making it look nice and neat.
It has some serious tyre fryin torque :wax: but it hardly gets driven at all now. It is treated with kit gloves these days since it was totally restored about 14 years ago.
Interior is sweet as and in very good nic.
It is only club registered nowadays and comes out once a month for a club run etc, or is used as the odd formal/ wedding car.:dance:
It was a big project at the time but it was worth every bit of blood sweat and tears that went into it, but it is all worthwhile cos it is a real treat to take it for a spin.:thumbsup:
The best thing is it is appreciating in value now.
Keep up the good work champ!:bow:
It is all worth while!:p

Attachments

• Resized Charger 1.jpg
    Resized Charger 1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 12,301
  • Resize Charger 2.jpg
    Resize Charger 2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,233