Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Value for $ Series 1?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Brand new cam is going to cost you $600.
Getting someone to install it, the better part of $1000 or more. Easy to knock over $2k if you don't know how to do it yourself.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
why by a new cam when a regrind will do be more then enough. no point putting in a huge cam if you can't (or don't) bring up the CR to suit.

gaskets and timing chain don't cost the earth.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't come across anyone who will regrind a cam for much less then what a new one is worth. You wont get it done for less the $400.

Timing chain will still set you back $250.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Crom Cam Stage 3 package which includes cam (new not regrind) springs and tune is $1188 last time i got quoted retail (through my work is was about $720)

Wade 992a12 or something which is a regind almost the same as crow stage 3 (maybe a bit better according to greenfoam) is $363 exchange add $100 with no exchange.

$250 for timing chain? I'm glad i dont have to pay that

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
$1200 for a tune and cam, is more then I thought. Add 7-800 labour (which is feasible) and you're pretty close to what I said.

Roll master double row timing chain RRP's for $250 IIRC.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
like i said before. don't bother with the crow cam/chip packages as they are fairly average

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
You see you could do it cheaper with a wade cam mail tune from someone like delco, springs i could get the same crow ones for $70 a set but i guess retail about $130 go a stock or single row chain say $120 with tensioner

Thats brings it in at around $700. Then if you were paying someone i'd say another 800ish (who knows really? do it yourself)so thats 1500

Do it yourself you save a lot

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
good to see someone actually offerin ideas of use to me. As far as not bein bothered with radiator flush or whatever it is you were sayin soop i have no idea where you got that from? Ive had almost everything out of the car at some point, including interior. I do all my own maintenance, and always have with this car. Currently doing a full repray inside and out. So don't see how I couldnt be bothered with doin the work myself. I havent done any work on car engines, have rebuilt a couple (3 to be exact) bike engines, 2 two strokes and 1 4, so I have a basic knowledge. Very much willing to learn more as well.

With custom regrinds of my current cam, I think Im kind of limited being where I am. I dont want to send a cam to oz to get it reground lol More of a time hassle than anything as it is a daily so dont need it off the road while waiting on postage!

Does anyone know of an NZ company that do good work and who could advise to a newbie something suitable package wise?

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
if you want a cam, take yours out and send it to Kelford cams and ask for the most aggressive profile they can for a regrind. $250 from memory. then get delcowizzid to do a tune to suit. cams are fairly easy to do on a buick because they don't need new lifters (if they are in good condition) because they use roller lifters. therefor they also don't require to be run in like flat tappet cams do. replacement springs aren't that expensive either.

while your at it, fit a double row timing chain to eliminate the standard timing chain tensioner and fit a s2 or ecotec oil pressure spring

Just noticed your in NZ, mind if I pick your brains for numbers of places, and seein as you know what your doing possibly have a hand buildin a shoppin list? Cheers