Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Value for $ Series 1?

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey starting to think about engine stuff, will have to save a bit but I like having a list of stuff (only way il ever save!)

Im not wanting huge power, once im rich il get that from a v8 but just like to give it a bit more go go.

I have a shoddy exhaust already but will get new extractors. Also looking at the following...

Crow Cam package
Comes with Cam, valve springs and memcal. I assume thats pretty standard?

And Yella Terra rockers, I cant remember where I saw it but think it was the highest ratio they have for the buick.

What sorta gains should I expect from the combination? Would there be any better combination excluding custom grinds?

Just want to know that value for $ wise I'm doing ok. Also as soon as I find a cheap enough lsd I will go 3.9 gears in the diff. Id imagine making the engine rev better would suit the ratio change?

Cheers guys

PS. Just noticed they say that the cam should be used with standard rockers, why is this? Im very new to engines so baby talk please! I would of thought anything that opens the valves more is a good thing?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you could still get proper roller rockers from say yella terra but in stock ratio.

Value for kw of cam install paying someone else to install is going to buy you a V8

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Cam and 3.9's will see you beat the 5l's
Permitting your motor is not too tired

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
you can beat standard 5L's with just a cam

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I had a cammed v6 with a fair bit of work done to it by Powerslave. It made 140rwkw i reckon powerslave would have spent 3000 to acheive that power. sure you can beat v8's but a decent condition v8 will make a bout 140rwkw with not much beside a decent exhaust and a cheap tune. You can buy a whole v8 vn or something for 2000 or less.

So therefore you can spend 2000 on a cammed v6 that will beat stock v8's and make about 140rwkw max unless you go spend stupid amounts on a turbo or s/c setup.

Or you can spend 2000 on a V8 stato have that v8 you always wanted make some money back selling what you dont want and spend whatever else you got on V8 mods. The v8 going to make about 140rwkw without any mods yets so it has potential to make more unlike the v6 which has reached its limit

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol not bein rude but does this have to turn into a v8>v6 thread? I'm not about beating v8's, theres hardly any here anyway that arent driven by retired guys.

Interesting on the rockers though. Perhaps Id be better just going rockers and diff and leaving the cam for now. Saves money on labour to cos I can do rockers myself but cam is well out of my skills.

Also where would I find a v8 stato for 2k? Seems way to cheap. Motor has done around 200k's now, box is a bit tired but motor is very healthy.