Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS3] Valve Timing Variability - VVT

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
One thing I read about the other day is a bolt on kit for LSA's that provides variable cam timing. Have you heard anything about these? I was told by a reliable source the next engine intended for the commodore was the genIV? which has variable cam timing and direct injection, 325kw's in standard trim.
I supply a retrofit kit for GenIV but stock LSA and LS9 Front Engine Accessory Drive is problematic. Would like to see that, any link?
BTW VVT, relieved pistons and AFM was slated by way of the L99 (Corvette Auto LS3) but you know, too complicated might break :rolleyes:
GenV is the latest V8, it's a SIDI, all about the head, studied it and took best bits for my build (tech papers available for those interested). The new SIDI V8 is not referred to as GenV by GM rather EcoTec3.

I haven't heard of that kit; I wonder if it alters the cam/crank phasing on the fly? I can't imagine any other "bolt on" method. Of course, manufacturers for years have been providing variable valve timing via a variety of mechanisms.
Yes it is continuously variable cam phasing programmable with VVT spark and fuel in the tune. Works really well, takes a trained eye to notice the install.
In order to get the most out of flex fuel I raised static CR to 14:1 and with VVT was able to retard the IVC such that the DCR performs well on premium too.
Ethanol under high compression with programmable combustion phasing makes for 36.8% thermal efficiency, massive BMEP, and BSFC better than petrol using Atkinson Cycle. AFM and tall diff gets hyper miles too.

Hey Prof / Martin,
GM have a number of L Series V8's with VVT. Eg the awesome LT1. Has lots of awesome tech features apart from VVT too. Also has AFM advantage. If I've read correctly, they pioneered the technology and Honda adapted for the V-Tech.
Might do it to my (ahem), the Wife's Redline.
Check out some of @monstar threads and comments. His beast of a wagon makes LS9 /W1 power and torque, with ridiculously good VE, so great fuel economy. Awesome stuff really.
It's easily fitted to an L77 (best with AFM), or LS3.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...ghzMBU&usg=AFQjCNEkZzVxDlFbcbRI5lAFEQ-LbDGLYQ

Last edited: