Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vanishing coolant.

Emmylouxo

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Another headache with my VT.

The car can take well over a bottle of coolant a week.
I have been topping it up with water eveyrday just to be on the safe side otherwise if it runs low it over heats. The coolant just seems to be vanishing, I know its not possible but I want a rough idea of what it might be.

I cant see a leak from anywhere and in the last 6 months I have had the radiator replaces and thermostat done.

The car heats up within 30 mins and the floor get roaring hot and produces so much heat, more that often you can smell the coolant and on twice the power train light has come on. I checked the transmission fluid when the light came on and it all seemed fine, then turned the car back on and it was off so I dont know if thats a related issue or just a separate problem.

And idea what could be going on?

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
sounds like you have a coolant leak somewhere lol (hello captin obvious) id start by checking the hoses and then the water pump . the powertrain light indicates a fault code has been logged in the computer you can read up on the thread about getting the codes from the ecu post them here it will be easier to find out whats going on.
and its possible for coolant to dissapear if its a slow leak while your driving down the road also if its overheating its turning to steam and then evaporates.
start at small things inspect replace if needed.... then you can rule everything out.

How to Check VT/VX Error Codes.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Have a look for leaks with the car running, you might even want to chuck some white scrap paper under the car while its running so leaking coolant will be easier to see.

Have you looked at the radiator cap and engine oil filler cap for any abnormalities such as sludge/goo? If coolant is not leaking out of the car then it's leaking internally.

fr1day_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT CALAIS
Mine was doing the same thing, turned out to be blown head gasket which in turn can overheat the heads which leads to warped heads. So the heads may require remachining with a new gaskets, you can get the heads reconditioned with new valves and reseating with gaskets for around $600 or they may do it for you for you 1300 - 1500. The water may be getting into your oil or vice versa. I'd say the water is just making it's way into your cylinder and burning off.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
does your radiator fan engage? at all? could be the ecu faulting with the water temp sensor

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
Just go down to your local mechanic or radiator shop & get them to pressure test the system. 5-10 mins to find leaks by pressure testing or a few hours of trying to find something that may be the size of a pin head. The white paper idea is good & does work on most occasions depending on how much is leaking out at a time. Also,check around all pipes & everything else for coolant stains this will give some indication of where possible leak or leaks are. Personally it would be easier & quicker just to pressure test the system

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
VTLS1 +. Pressure test and replace leaking items. There's about a 100 things that can leak and rather than spend a couple of days looking for them, a pressure test (plus cylinder compression test?) will find the problem in 15 minutes. Less stress and time wasted plus, for the most part, easy fixes

Rosie-VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Had same problem with my VT, was using 1lt a week and had water pump, radiator, heater tap, all hoses replaced and still used all the coolant, last resort was to pull apart the whole dash to get to the heater core and guess what.. it was the heater core, it was all corroded, now is all good!