Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vantablack is the new black, Blacker than the blackest black

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
A British company has produced a "strange, alien" material so black that it absorbs all but 0.035 per cent of visual light, setting a new world record. To stare at the "super black" coating made of carbon nanotubes – each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair – is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.

If it was used to make one of Chanel's little black dresses, the wearer's head and limbs might appear to float incorporeally around a dress-shaped hole.
There's A New Material That's So Black You Can't See It | Gizmodo Australia

Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it... - Science - News - The Independent

usw2zzzen391jly80giq.jpg

vm0he6nqyohziawnuzcu.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Sorry - this is wrong. Everyone knows orange is the new black.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Invisibility cloak ? Cool...now get onto the hover board.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
I'd like to see someone in a little black dress who's head floats incorporeally. :surprise:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Seriously though if this material absorbs light to that extent, you would think it might also absorb heat at a greater rate than a normal matt black surface too. I could see it being used in solar hot water panels producing super hot water.
I wonder if they could absorb enough heat from the sun to produce steam?..... Steam driven cars even.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
wonder how an insurance claim would go when some twat wraps his car in this stuff.

It will happen and we all know it.

matej44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Seriously though if this material absorbs light to that extent, you would think it might also absorb heat at a greater rate than a normal matt black surface too. I could see it being used in solar hot water panels producing super hot water.
I wonder if they could absorb enough heat from the sun to produce steam?..... Steam driven cars even.

Interesting thought. When it absorbs all the rays, it should get pretty hot. Question is how much and if it would't melt. Nanomaterials are pretty fascinating, but I have never seen a nanomaterial based toy. That is pretty neat gadget. Maybe you wanna check this. Its called PCBM and it can be used to create a flexible solar cells. Pretty much the stuff you were thinking about. :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
So women wear the new black dress and no underwear they would be nude.
I like it.