Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Varajet adjustments

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi guys
In all my manuals, including the GMH manual, it says to adjust the idle speed by turning the mixture bypass screw. The basic idle adjustment screw on the back of the carby is labelled in the diagrams as well but it doesn't say how to adjust this.
I know this is out adjustment with my carby, has anyone got any idea of how to adjust this as well as the mixture bypass screw to get the correct idle speed.
Also, is there an accurate way of adjusting the idle mixture without a CO meter.
Thanks

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
The idle mixture on the carb should not be adjusted as it would have been set at the factory. The idle screw is the screw located behind the cam which has step intervals to set it. Is your car running fine? Leave it.

On my carb which is the Rochester 4 barrel, the mixture screws are actually closed over so it can't be adjusted due to backyard twits fiddling and adjusting the mixture which in turn modifys the emissions and running of the barge.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
I'm not adjusting the mixture on my car, it is for adjusting the mixture accurately on my brothers HX.
Back to the VK, I originally had a Max Ellery VB-VK manual to begin with. This was back when I didn't know much and it describes the model of the varajet 2 before the VK model. It said to adjust the idle speed with the basic idle speed adustment which is located near the fast idle adjustment and it cracks open the accelerator butterfly valve. I adjusted the speed with this and later on after I did some work, I adjusted it with the mixture bypass screw which is located in the middle of the carby at the front. I did this because my newer more trusted manuals said so. It doesn't run bad and it accelerates very good but when idling, its just not perfect like it should.
So, I was just wondering how to adjust these two to get it right because they both adjust the idle speed just one opens the throttle slightly and the other makes the mixture bypass or something like that.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
You can try oldholden website for some info on varajet carby.

VH Vacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
French

The best adjustment I have heard about is to adjust it right off the inlet manifold and replace it with an ex-Ford downdraft weber :thumbsup: