Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Varajet Issues!

Holdentogether

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hi all, I’m new here. Just after some advice for a friends VK with a black motor and varajet carby with EST. I know they’re a horrible carby. It’s having float issues and probably needs a new one, which is basically impossible. Has trouble starting and stinks of fuel, leaks from the base and when it has started will cut out once driving and takes a bit to start again. Was running fine until about four months ago. It’s also a low mileage car, with I think from memory around 140,000 kms, as it belonged to my friends nan who bought it new, then got handed down a few years ago. Any advice would be great as she’d love to get it back on the road!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Float issue or needle and seat problem?

Fairly sure you should still be able to get a basic rebuild kit for it.

Holdentogether

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
According to the mechanic it’s the float not the needle and seat. And can’t buy the floats anymore.

Commy Vk, I don’t know about the varajets just going off what everyone keeps telling me including all mechanics I’ve talked to and my dad who has been in the car yard business for over 30 years, he said they were an issue when they were almost still new. My VK had a stromberg on it I think, and my vh had one too so have never had one.
It hasn’t been sitting, it’s daily driven and has been since new. My friend only uses it to go to work and home basically, it doesn’t go on major road trips and is looked after.
I reckon the mechanic would of checked the fuel filters, he said it’s the float itself, it’s not functioning properly and making the car run like crap when it even wants to start.
Rare spares were unable to help as you can’t buy the floats and basically laughed at my query and said to “throw that horrible carby as far as you can” which is a bit much but anyway.
Surely there must be something we can do to get it back running properly? It’s the EST that’s the issue. Otherwise I’ve been told I can find a Vh carb and dizzy and put them on, but they’re hard enough to find as well. She’d like to keep it pretty stock.
Thanks for your replies.

Holdentogether

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Also forgot to add that it’s been getting the lead additive stuff in it since they stopped leaded fuel.

HPE

Reaction score
Members Ride
!986 vk commodore sedan
Hi all, I’m new here. Just after some advice for a friends VK with a black motor and varajet carby with EST. I know they’re a horrible carby. It’s having float issues and probably needs a new one, which is basically impossible. Has trouble starting and stinks of fuel, leaks from the base and when it has started will cut out once driving and takes a bit to start again. Was running fine until about four months ago. It’s also a low mileage car, with I think from memory around 140,000 kms, as it belonged to my friends nan who bought it new, then got handed down a few years ago. Any advice would be great as she’d love to get it back on the road!

HPE

Reaction score
Members Ride
!986 vk commodore sedan
I have second hand carburretor off running engine 4 Cylinder which i am sure as same float and needle valve Is of low mileage vk

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
According to the mechanic it’s the float not the needle and seat. And can’t buy the floats anymore.

Commy Vk, I don’t know about the varajets just going off what everyone keeps telling me including all mechanics I’ve talked to and my dad who has been in the car yard business for over 30 years, he said they were an issue when they were almost still new. My VK had a stromberg on it I think, and my vh had one too so have never had one.
It hasn’t been sitting, it’s daily driven and has been since new. My friend only uses it to go to work and home basically, it doesn’t go on major road trips and is looked after.
I reckon the mechanic would of checked the fuel filters, he said it’s the float itself, it’s not functioning properly and making the car run like crap when it even wants to start.
Rare spares were unable to help as you can’t buy the floats and basically laughed at my query and said to “throw that horrible carby as far as you can” which is a bit much but anyway.
Surely there must be something we can do to get it back running properly? It’s the EST that’s the issue. Otherwise I’ve been told I can find a Vh carb and dizzy and put them on, but they’re hard enough to find as well. She’d like to keep it pretty stock.
Thanks for your replies.

Stromburgs were fitted to Red motors...Varijets were fitted to blue and blacks....VH blue motor, VK black motor....So you have a varijet, just weren't aware.

VH dizzy's go straight in...Just disconnect the est crap