Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Varex/butterfly muffler to replace centre muffler?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hi guys,

Love my exhaust system but lately I've been worried going out at night with a loud car because (a) Everything sounds louder at night, and (b) Can't tell what cars are police.

I want to be able to quieten down my system so I don't worry about it, but still want all the loud and fun sound.

My question is,
Can a Varex/butterfly muffler (usually used as rear muffler) replace the centre muffler? (in my case my middle long hotdog).

Anyone know if this is possible or not? also if it will affect the sound much as XForce arent as well know for sound.

Thanks for any help.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No idea. I don't use any X Force gear at all. I haven't seen a Varex in the flesh so I don't know if it could or not. But the thing you have to take into account is that the flap that moves to quieten the exhaust down blocks off part of the flow. It will be restrictive. The further forward you move it, the more restrictive it is is as the exhaust is moving faster closer to the engine.

I would fit another hotdog to the tail pipe.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Varex mufflers are still down on flow even when valve is open 100% - If you haven't been pulled up on it yet just leave it until you do