Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Variable speed steering rack

Bush mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002 VX SS
Hey guys, would anyone know if I can fit a 2002 Statesman LS1 steering rack, to my 2002 SS Sedan. I'm not sure if the Statesman's have the variable steering racks or is it just the Calais which have them.
And if the Statesman's do have variable type, can I fit it to my car which doesn't have it. Is there any external visual difference between the two types.

A mate has a Statesman for me but I don't want to travel 2 hrs to pick it up, only to find that I can't use it.

Thanks heaps :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, the Statesman will have the variable speed rack and no, you can't fit a variable rack to a car that doesn't have it.

Bush mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore 2002 VX SS
Yes, the Statesman will have the variable speed rack and no, you can't fit a variable rack to a car that doesn't have it.
Thanks for that, would you know which models are interchangeable with my 2002 VX SS. I think I heard someone say that the 6 Cyl VX has the same rack as the V8 and from memory they said that the VT and VY's use the same type VX as well.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can't vouch for which ones will fit but it's highly likely VT and VY (possibly VZ too, IDK) racks will work. They shouldn't be engine specific. Looking at ebay listings it seems that VT Series 2 to VY all will use the same rack (like for like with variable and non-variable obviously).

Last edited: