Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Varitronic power steering problem

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
The power steering on the Stato is working perfectly for a while then all of a sudden its like the engine is turned off and the power steering is gone totally (a little daunting for the little misses going thru a round-a-bout :) ). Anyway I tried it in the shed and it was working ok, then I lock-to-locked it for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it goes out again. Not sure if I heard a click (like a relay) when it happened or it might have been something else. Well I rang Holden's and the bloke said it may be a blockage (doubt that as it seems to fix itself when it cools down) or it may be the solenoid on the rack, or a computer problem.
Anyone else had something similar happen? And what caused it.

Tim

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
There is something in the rack valving that degrades over time. You need to get a reconditioned rack installed.

94 Stato V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series 11 wagon, 2014 VF SV6 Storm Ute
Sorted it out

Turned out to be the solenoid valve ($182.40) on the rack. Not sure exactly what failed but when I finally got the rack out and got to pull the solenoid valve off, the valve had a couple of bits of what looked like plastic jambed inside it stopping the plunger move up/down. May have been the insides of the solenoid valve, but not too sure. The o'rings were all stuffed too, replaced the solenoid and pipe o'rings and all is good. Just need to get the wheel alignment checked and it'll be all good again.

Just an update in case someone has a problem in the future.

Tim