Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB 304 Steering Rack Width

VB304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304
Hi All,
I’ve put a later model K frame in my VB with an injected 5L due to the exhaust/steering rack clearance issue and the rack that came with the new k frame is longer than the rack that came off the car
With everything fitted up the front wheels have about 20 degrees of toe in on both sides.
I looked at switching tie rod ends but they look the same on both the VB rack and the new one.

Any ideas on what the issue could be would be a huge help.

I was told the k frame was out of a VN so I’m hoping it’s not a VS one which has the wider track.

Cheers.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
..... the tie rods adjust the toe

screw them in (or better get a proper FWA done (

VB304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304
Initially I thought that was the answer but there isn’t enough thread on the tie rod to get what I need.
At a guess, to get the wheels aligned I would need to wind each tie rod in around an inch, and they are almost out of thread now. If I took the locking nut off I might get close but I can’t see that being a good idea..
Any other ideas?

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Cut 10mm off the end of each rack end. That should stop it bottoming out on the tie rods. Leave the locking nut on the rack end when you cut them them, then remove them after the cut to clean the thread.

VB304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304
I get what you mean mate but the tie rod end has screwed all the way on to the steering rack end and now there’s no more thread visible.

If I don’t have any luck I could cut the tie rod end down but I’ll lose the square bit that the spanner goes on when adjusting. Also I’d have to make sure there’s plenty of thread left inside.
When I bought the new rack it sounded like a straight forward swap but possibly not.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
I know what you mean now, don't cut the tie rods & definitely utilise the lock nut or it will unwind itself. My only other suggestion would be to take a trip to bursons or repco & see if the aftermarket ones have more thread compared to the current one.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Screw your rack ends into it

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
There could be 2 listings for your model as well. 1 for manual steering & one for power steering. Check both types for best compatibility.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IF I'm not mistaken the racks widths are the same, what changed for the cars with the wider wheel tracks are the rack ends or inner tie rods (as they are referred to in the pic below).

See drawing below (random interweb pics)
0900c1528004837f.gif

You need to remove part number 18 and get the correct one for your model.

VB304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304
Righto, I’ve got some ideas now.
I’ll head down to Bursons and see what they’ve got listed.
I can take the boot off the rack as well and see if there’s any adjustment in there.
Thanks for your help and time lads, much appreciated!