Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB 6cyl trimatic shifting issues.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

My VB is goin generally ok, except that after a while of driving in hilly terrain the shifting of the commodore can be quite erratic. Like, you'd lift off the gas after climbing a hill for it to then change down to 2nd from 3rd. On other occasions it'd just change in and out of 2nd/3rd, after said driving on a hilly route. I am thinking the kickdown solenoid is stuffed. Could I be right? On short trips and on flat trips its otherwise fine.

Any thoughts?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Check ur trans fluid with the engine running and warme3d up,in Park handbrake ON.
Check to see if the solenoid wire is connected to the top of trans.
Check under the accellerator pedal to see if the kickdown switch is properly adjusted.
If everything checks out then the trans should kick back into 2nd when U boot it.

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Sounds like a vacuum modulator problem. Pull the hose off at the trans end to check if there is any trans fluid in it. It should not have trans fluid in it. If there is trans fluid in there the diaphram on the vacuum modulator is leaking and needs to be replaced. Also check tha vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the trans for leaks.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Your meant to check oil level with it idling in neutral with the engine hot but doing it that way will only give a lower reading then normal, as i said in another thread and got grilled for it, overfilling a trimatic will not harm it or blow out seal ect so dont be scared to put more oil in to test. but yeh check the vacuum module and vacuum line, generally if the vacuum line has broken or is gone the transmission gets a signal off full throttle as theres little or no vacuum due to the broken hose and it thinks your going for broke as the manifold vacuum level drops to very little at WOT which is when you want it drop back a cog but with the hose gone its getting the low vacuum signal all the time. if that makes sense, if you have an economy gauge it will help as it getting the same vacuum signal as the transmission is.