Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB Airconditioning

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
hey all, my vb currently doesnt have air conditioning and i wish to retrofit airconditioning from another commodore which has the factory airconditioning option. what i want to know is do i have to source all the gear from a vb or can it be from anything vb to vl?? ive seen a few cheap (<$500) complete vhs with airconditioning and would simply buy a whole one and wreck it out for the airconditioning if it is compatible. any help is much appreciated. cheers

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
that seems like a good idea but i strongly urge you to get a copy of the factory workshop manual (if you have not got it already) before you commit yourself to doing anything. The list of parts you would need to swap out is mindboggling, as is the wiring. I would strongly suggest, in answer to your question, you should find a vb-vc for the most painless result. the switching system in the VH is slightly different, mean more parts you have to swap out and more work. VK-VL use different switching systems not compatible with a VB-VH facia...unless you wanted to swap those out too.

In all, i think its much easier to tint the windows, and leave a crack in a window if you are parking it outside this coming summer........this is what i intend to do:)

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Agree ^^^ it is a bastard of a job - be easier to swap your 308 into a VB-VK that has A/C....

Anyway VB / VC use the old Harrison/Delco compressor which is larger than the VH/VK one that uses a Nippon (I think!) which is smaller and more efficient. The location of the receiver/dryer is different on the VB/VC to the VH/VK also and hence the plumbing. You can only get them re-gassed with the new style gas (can't remember the name) which I don't think works very well in the Harrisson compressor. As far as compatibility is concerned you could probably fit a VH unit into a VB with some modification here an there (not sure exactly what) and the norm/recirc toggle switch will fit into your dash ok but the wiring will be different. Maybe go for VB/VC A/C plumbing and get an auto elec to retro fit a compressor, could be easier.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
I'll get a pic of my sle engine bay, then you will see why it isn't such a great idea. Even under dash pics too.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Factory fitted A/C on VB/VC had the black Harrison compressor but they had an accessory A/C kit with the silver Sankyo compressor. If you find a VB/VC with the silver compressor this means it had the kit fitted after it left the production line (in dealer land). This one would be the one to look for.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the system used in the VB and early VC used the Harrison system. It used vacuum heater/vent controls and the evaporator box was partially mounted on the engine bay side of the firewall. It also used the much larger Harrison piston type compressor & an accumulator rather than a receiver/drier as used on the VC-VL. I'm fairly sure they also used an orifice tube instead of a tx valve which was used in VC-VL.

later VC & VH is very similar (if not the same). Air intake is in the centre of the plenum (on A/C models) The evaporator case was contained completely under the dash, the vent/heater system was controlled by metal rods, and it used a more compact & efficient Sanden SD508 rotary compressor.

VK-VL are different again. Vacuum controlled heater/vent, different heater/evaporator box, blower fan location, air intake on the passenger side of the plenum chamber.

I would probably recommend finding yourself a VC A/C system. It should be a straight fit into a VB (will have to drill a hole in the firewall for the A/C pipes) and it's a much tidier and more efficient system than the old Harrison type VB system

It's not as bad as it all sounds. My VH didn't come with air, I had to drag it out of my old VH, drill a hole in the firewall etc. I'm also going to be running the VR compressor setup, plus it will all be wired through the ECM (like the VR system). I bought a brand new condensor (still can buy universal fit condensors which is what the VB-VK used). And quite honestly, whilst it is a big job, there are a lot worse jobs. Keep in mind, most Commodores (apart from SL/E) weren't fitted with A/C from factory, the dealers fitted them to the cars.

The biggest problem you will have, is finding an evaporator that isn't leaking and/or twisted pipes from people who didn't disconnect the pipes with 2 spanners... Problem is early model Commodore evaporators were fitted in a sealed box. So if you can find a replacement evaporator core, you will need to cut the evaporator box open and plastic weld the box back together.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
hmmm thanks for all that food for thought guys, much appreciated! i think i'll firstly try out the window tint as someone mentioned to see if this helps curb interior temperature at all, if not then i'll go with your advice darren and try to get a vc with a/c and attempt the transplant. i like a challenge!

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Good suggestions above for fitting from VB/VC but bear in mind if these old systems are not sealed they can be contaminated inside and worse case can block the new system or even damage the compressor.
If you are not sure how to inspect parts suitable for service I recommend buying a car with a complete sealed system and swapping out or at least replacing what you can with new such as pipes hoses filters etc and having the condenser/evaporator flushed.

Lowcroozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE 5.0
I'll get a pic of my sle engine bay, then you will see why it isn't such a great idea. Even under dash pics too.
Hey SL/E NUT, could you post those under dash pictures? I'm trying to source all the parts i need for my VB SL/E and don't want to buying parts unnecessarily. i have a workshop manual as guide also.

PeterQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Crewman Cross8 HSV
I had a VB about 25 years ago. It was a very early one and the A/C switch was a rotary one on the dash below the steering wheel. Later VBs, as I recall, had a little rocker switch at the RH end of the centre section of the dash. So I'm pretty sure that there were two kinds of system fitted to VBs. Also possible that one of them was a standard dealer after sale install, to keep stamp duty down.