Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb engine swap

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
Located a complete statesman diff will this fit VB

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
Finally found a large salisbury housing for vb what length axles do I need ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A Salisbury from a v8 vb - vk would work get the booster and master cyclinder as well for the rear disk conversion.
Does it have power steering if one is to get technical were there any v8 commodores that didn't have power steering as I all ways preferred power steer and never seen a v8 commodore with out it. I know of a bloke getting a road worthy with out power steer but the only one I know of the car is a pos that I reckon he bribed the roadworthy mob.
If you don't plan of powersteering add that bit of bs to your find out list.

Don't think the M/C and booster are different from drum to disc braked rears.....I had a drum braked M/C and booster with my disc braked rear VC for a while.....Only changed M/C because I got an 1" bore M/C recoed and changed boosters because the old one crapped itself.

The power steer bit....I'm not real sure whether not having it fitted, even if it was a factory fitament would deem the car unroadworthy.....But as you suggested, finding out would be a good option :)

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
Its not going to be registered as its gunna be a skid car the body has to much rust got a quot to cut it out and paint it come to 40k so its now skid car

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
What diff are you going? If its got the factory diff it will be the small 8 bolt. Depending on what your plans are it may be worth looking a Borgwarners from a later commodore as half decent 10 bolt Salisburys are getting prices these days for ones that don't need rebuilding.
Just found a 10 bolt salisbury 3.08 single spinner out of vc should do the trick nicely ay

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Like yes. No knowing how long it will last but yes it will work. Will need to spool it though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Burnout car....weld original diff up & use untill it blows.Should last awhile with small tyres & decent grunt won't be much strain on it unless got need to be a vulture to make it spin etc.

^^ done that with a few cars

After that vn-vs borgwarner with minispool...just need to run stockers out back & not be too low as diff is way wider....mini-spool is cheap + easy to get parts if snap axles.Vl rear half of tailshaft to your front half if cant find from vl v8.

Go manual steering rack as astra(?) electric p/steer pump also bias valve/shutoff for rear brake lines...front brakes only on burnout pad then if ever do powercruise etc got working brakes again.

Thing will need decent torque to rip a 3-4 minute burnout with tall gears on a sticky pad.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Chuck your tyres at 50 odd psi too, will help if you've got too much grip or not enough torque.