Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB engine swap

Mccarthy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB sedan.
Hi. Can anyone please help with a question regarding licensing a VB commodore in Perth that I have taken out the 202 and put in a 308
It’s all done professionally. Still an auto. Do I need an engineer to sign off for this as the VB did come out with the 308. From what I read on DOT website it’s a complex modification so engineering report is need. Is this correct??
The car was transported here unregistered from Victoria so is not registered in wa.
Hope someone can help. Cheers

Attachments

• 3F1E9D10-4BA9-4E0D-92CA-1165D12892E0.jpeg
    3F1E9D10-4BA9-4E0D-92CA-1165D12892E0.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 119

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
As long as you've got receipts for car & motor should only need to pass roadworthy/safety inspection & identity check.

In the past people would get into strife over engine numbers like not letting earlier kingy engine with QT prefix put into vk commodore that had VA or VT engine prefix....vn-vs efi cars had to have VU prefix or they wouldn't go into old RTA system

You'd have to ask that question & provide receipts if it's a concern although doesn't seem to be an issue in some states.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If there are any differences with brakes or suspension you would have to upgrade to what the v8 has.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
v8 booster & rear discs....9 out of 10 inspection stations wouldn't a clue what is factory spec & what isn't.

I've had cars passed still running rear drums with 6cyl salisbury & small booster as long as car is roadworthy & passes brake tests etc can't see much of an issue these days.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
SLE had 5 litre with TH350(?) or TH400

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If there are any differences with brakes or suspension you would have to upgrade to what the v8 has.

From memory, the only difference between the 6's and 8's were different front springs...The cheats way of lowering them is keep the 6 cyl springs in when you put the 8 in.....I'm fairly sure it keeps the car at legal height, so they don't look to hard....:)I'm sure the rear springs were the same for 6's and 8's....The 308 equipped VB's came with rear discs..I don't think the 253's did, or if they did, it was an option, not a standard fitament...Front brakes on these were the same 6's and 8's....

Booster wise....The 8's had a double diaphram booster with these early girls....From memory, 308's had an 1" bore master cylinder and the 253's only had the 15/16" master....However I maybe wrong with this.....I just recall getting a double diaphram booster and 1" bore master off an original 308 equipped VB donkeys years ago and don't recall seeing them factory fitted smaller engined commodores of this era...

That being written, it is still a good idea to suggest these things, so it can be researched during the engine swap phase and fitted to a car prior to an inspection and my memory isn't what it used to be....

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Booster wise....The 8's had a double diaphram booster with these early girls....From memory, 308's had an 1" bore master cylinder and the 253's only had the 15/16" master....However I maybe wrong with this.....I just recall getting a double diaphram booster and 1" bore master off an original 308 equipped VB donkeys years ago and don't recall seeing them factory fitted smaller engined commodores of this era...
No, 5 litre VB also had 15/16 bore master cylinder. 1 inch master didn't become standard with 5 litre until VH series.