Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vb power steering

Beardy SA

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore 1978 six cylinder
Hello
Beardy SA here I am new to the forum and wondering if any body has had a similar issue to mine.I am fitting power steering to my maneul steer 1978 vb commodore 6 cylinder.I am using the power steering rack from a 6 cylinder vc commodore and have the intermediate shaft that was in the vc with the rack,how ever it is about 45mm to short to hook up to the vb manuel steer coium.Is there a difference in the colum length between the manuel steer and power steer in these models?I am thinking I probably need the colum from the power steer donor car. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Beardy SA

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
All the column's are the same length.
If you have the matching intermediate shaft to the rack.....
Your problem would be the k-frame, more specifically the hanger mounts for the rack.
I have in my vb the original column (was manual steer SL 6 cyl) matched to a vl intermediate shaft and a vl power steer rack all on a vl k-frame and it all fit up fine.

Beardy SA

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore 1978 six cylinder
Thanks for the reply Ice Man,Perhaps I have the wrong intermediate shaft as I definatly know the rack came out of the 6 cylinder vc and I am sure that the vb and vc 6 cylinder k frames are the same ,the intermediate shaft I did not see in the vc it was one that was supposed to have been taken of the steering rack when the colum had been taken out of the car.Perhaps some one has a factory power steer vb or vc 6 cylinder and can measure the distance centre of uni joint to centre of uni joint which would be a great help or a photo.
Cheers Beardy SA

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Read drewVHSS's comment again you need to change the kframe